CatsPets

Is Clay Litter Bad For Cats?

I've vaguely heard that regular clay scoopable litter is bad for kitties. The cat licks her feet and gets litter in her GI tract. The caking agent used expands 15 times its original size so even very small amounts can get to be a lot in a kitty's GI tract. It doesn't get eliminated from the body.

Has anyone heard this? Does anyone have information or links about this problem? Any vets out there to confirm or refute this claim?

Thanks in advance.
coolchinchilla

I didn't know that it was bad for cats, but I have found it unaffordable for years now. I bought a paper shredder, which only cost me $40 in New Zealand, and used it to shred free circulars, bills, old newspapers... even rejection letters from employers. (That always felt good, especially since my cats were able to express their opinion about the letters, too.)

Anyway, I found that the cats were more than happy to use the shredded paper as litter. (If it gets a little too strong-smelling, add some baking soda to the tray.)

In no time at all, my shredder paid for itself!

I have read more than one article stating that it is bad for cats and I think at least one article was in Cats Magazine. It only makes sense. If urine is what causes it to clump, then if they get it on their paws or fur and they lick themselves to get clean, any liquid in their stomach is going to cause it to clump.

We have been using Feline Pine for years and none of our cats have had a problem getting used to it. The urine causes the pellets to become sawdust, which I scoop out with a non-slotted scoop and then I use a slotted scoop for the poop. Their phone # and web address are: 1-800-749-PINE www.naturesearth.com

I just adopted a stray kitty and am trying to litter box train her, but the little nut is nibbling the clay litter! She isn't hungry, just had food. I'm afraid for her but don't know what to do.

I'll try the shredded paper, hope it works!

I've been using store brand scoopable litter for 7 years. My cat has yet to even go to the veternarian for an unwell visit for any reason.

I have used regular litter and clumping clay litter for years. With my first cat we used regular clay litter and she lived to be 18 years old and never had a litter caused sick visit. I have used clumping litter for about 4 years because I bought a litter robot litter system which requires clumping litter and now I have 4 cats and none of them have had a sick vet visit caused by litter. In our non litter robot litter box we use Feline Pine because we do not like the dust when we scoop it out. The nice thing about the feline pine is that it vacuums up so easily and last a long time. I figure with the litter robot because of the number of cats I have there is a great savings in my litter cost because the litter robot is so efficient that I go through 1 large bag of litter a month in the US this cost me about 10 dollars.

I have read in a book the same thing. My cat hasnt gone sick but the cat being sick from litter (i have heard) is not that showable. I do believe this and if it doesnt cause a cat ill it causes territoral stress which is out of subject. I think you should ask your cats veternarian that band see what the answer you come up with is.