Fruit Floats to the Top When Canning

I'm canning plums by water bath method. The problem is even though I stew the plums in syrup a few minutes first and then scoop them into mason jars and top with more hot syrup after 30 minutes of the hot water bath, all the fruit floats to the top of the jar. This leaves the bottom half with only syrup.

For my family, it doesn't matter that the fruit fills only half the jar, but I had hope to give some as gifts. I can't now. I'm feeling embarrassed. Does anyone have any advice for me?

By cielalday from Pittsburg, CA

I wondered if you have a good tasting recipe for plum jam? Most of the store varieties are bland, not like a plum tastes. Do you use any of your canned plums to make jams?

I have a really old Kerr Canning book. I don't know if this will help or not, but the instructions to can plums are:

Plums (Cold Pack)

"Select plums not too ripe: wash and prick skin with needle to prevent bursting. Pack into clean KERR Jars and fill to fill within 1 1/2 inches of top of jar with medium or heavy syrup. Put on cap, screwing band Firmly Tight. Process according to time table, page 8." Boiling Water Bath: Pints 20 min. Quarts 25 min. Pressure Cooker: Pints. & Quarts 10 min. at 5 lbs. of pressure.

Syrup

"Boil sugar & water together until sugar is dissolved. Juice of the fruit may be used in place of water.

Keep syrup hot but do not let it boil down.

Medium----1 cup sugar and 2 cups water

Heavy----1 cup sugar and 1 cup water

The Heavy syrup is for sour fruit and those to be extra sweet. There is no recipe for hot pack plums. Hope this helps.

Instead of scooping the plums into the jars, try packing them as tightly as you can, pushing them in with a wooden spoon or something all the way up to the neck of the jar and then add your liqud to cover the fruit.

I have canned plums, peaches, figs, just about any fruit you can name, having been for years in a plant and produce business (even at 70 I still make special things like jams, marmalade, relishes, etc.). Here is the absolute fact! Fruits, when canned, do tend to rise to the top of the jar. The best plan, follow instructions in canning book, pamphlet, or ?, But do try to pack firmly, without smashing fruit to pieces, and fill just about to top of jar, leaving just enough room for expansion that happens when syrup heats. Hope this helps. Don't be upset with a space of syrup at the bottom, it is natural. Also, if an edge of fruit is above syrup after canning, and canning was done properly, the fruit is still perfectly safe.

Food and Recipes Canning FruitJune 24, 2009
Grapefruit slices in a canning jar.
Canning Grapefruit
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries
🎉
🎄