Christmas Too Commercial?

Is Christmas too commercial for you and your kids? Do they have enough in the way of toys, etc.?

A wonderful tradition that will: 1) help you stay in budget, 2) avoid over-stimulating your kids, 3) cut down on the commercialism, and 4) remind your kids of the reason for "Christmas" is to limit your kids gifts to 3 a piece - the same number of gifts Jesus received from the Magi!

I also include other smaller things to stuff in their stocking, but knowing that they will have 3 gifts helps them think carefully about what they will ask for, and helps me tremendously when shopping!

By Tripleb from Greenville, AL

Christmas is, (without a doubt) far too commercial. I make my husbands gifts by hand, and try avoid spending the national debt! I love your idea of receiving 3 gifts like Jesus did. I always say; 1) something homemade 2) something to play with 3)Something to eat. 4) Something to wear - however old are you are! In the future I will think of the big 3! Merry Christmas from London! x

This is a wonderful idea which every1 should adopt. Too may people put themselves in debt at this time of year and turn it into a season of stress rather than joy!

I agree with what all of you are saying,but my family of 6 has gone a step further. We use the money we would spend at Christmas time and go away for a few days.

This year we (live by Lancaster,PA) are going to Lancaster. We are seeing the Miracle of Christmas, that's what I wanted from my parents.

We spend about $50.00 on each child. My younger ones absolutely love it. They think it's great to have family time with all of us without all of the distactions. My older ones don't enjoy it as much because they don't get as much stuff. I tell them that gives me an even better reason to get away.

Then on New Year's Eve we host a small party/present exchange.

I want my children to know its not so much about Santa Claus but Jesus's birth and family.

i think Christmas is all about spending

I think that Christmas is too commercial, as people are spending too much money on kids.

If you ask me, Christmas is far too commercial although, i think children should get the presents they want as it's not really as if they get a WHOLE Lot through out the year, is it ? Except on there Birthday but ..

Don't you want too see your children happy ? People still go to church, and believe in Jesus, also have a good time with family all the other days of the year, don't they ?

it is way too commercial many people think its all to do with the presents but really its to do with the birth of jesus christ and the presents just make the day more enjoyable

Holidays and Parties Christmas ParentingDecember 20, 2005
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.
Neck Tie Christmas Wreath
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree