Decorating Advice for a Kitchen Update

I am in the process of upgrading my kitchen. I have decided to repaint my mustard colored walls, cream with a white trim. I am also replacing my outdated white and black appliances with stainless.

Here is the problem: I have decided to paint my cabinets a somewhat greenish blue, but I can't decide how to make the color work with the rest of the kitchen. With the curtains and backsplash maybe? Also, should I paint my newly built island the color of the walls (cream) or the color of the cabinets (blue). I am using ceramic tile for the countertops (cream with brown specks).

By Cynthia from St. Louis, MO

I just love it when people ask about decorating. :) Not that I'm a professional, but I sure do have some opinions. :) My very first suggestion is to go with what you love! Do that and you'll be happy with the results.

Considering the choices you've already made, I would keep the back-splash as neutral as the walls, tile and trim, but probably a different depth of texture. Maybe the tiny, multi-tinted, glass tiles that would work with your counter tile?

If the new island will have doors and drawers on it's base that match the style of your cabinets, I'd paint them the same color as the cabinets. If it's just a standard base with little detail, paint it the same color as the walls. If it's something uniquely designed and detailed, I'd use a cherry stain on the wood (again, considering your color choices) and keep it a unique focal point in the room.

As far as complimentary colors, (curtains, decorative pieces, chair upholstery, rugs, etc.,) make a larger (5" x 8") cabinet paint color sample on a piece of wood and go visit some art galleries and fabric stores. Match it up with things you like and choose one or two additional colors in the art and fabrics that are pleasant to your eye and that will work with the rest of your home. Again, go with what you love and you'll love your new kitchen.

It NEVER hurts to get the opinion of a good friend. But if you don't particularly "gel" with that friend's home decor . . . take note! Be nice!!!! Just take note. :) :) :) Good luck and have fun with this project.

Only advice I can give is to think twice about stainless appliances. I put in all stainless and regretted it ever since. I have to clean them every day to get rid of smudge marks and bring back the shine. Also, for some reason they have small scratches on the surface areas. Now I am stuck with Stainless unless I replace all the appliances.

June 26, 2010 Flag

How do I update a kitchen on a limited budget?

By Alma from MO

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Paint is cheap. You can paint walls or cabinets. New curtains (that you made yourself) are inexpensive. Give the kitchen a good cleaning as outdated appliances look fine if they are nice and clean. Old, dusty light fixtures can be replaced. Get something inexpensive from Lowes or Home Depot.

Shabby chic!

Pick up tables, kitchen dressers/cabinets, stools and chairs, art and more from markets, garage/yard sales, fetes and second hand store. Keep an eye out for them in your local paper.

I agree, paint is the cheapest way to get a fresh look, and you can make your own curtains (I did!) and find cheap wooden knobs on ebay. Check out the difference!

I meant to show the "before" shot of the kitchen, here it is! Now you can see the difference! :)

August 11, 2007 Flag

My kitchen cupboards are white and the walls are a very, very pale blue. I am going to get new floors, counter-top and back-splash. I am overwhelmed by the choices. Should the back splash, counter and floor all match as well? What would you suggest for each? Thank-you.

Anita from Toronto, Ontario

Anita, I just redid my entire kitchen myself and it was a very daunting task to say the least. I did alot of research on the internet though and redid my wood cabinets all myself. It saved us a bundle!

If you go to some of the home improvement stores (I'm sure you have different ones than we have here in the states though) you can see kitchens already made up. They'll have cabinets with countertops and backsplashes, etc. You don't have to buy from them, but you can sure get some ideas. Also, if you have new homes to going up around you, alot of my girlfriends get idea from looking at them.

Good luck to you and remember, you're the one that has to be ultimately happy with it....

A real estate agent would tell you to keep it as neutral as possible and use accessories for color.

Perfumed Fan had an excellent suggestion.

Remember that anything that is 'loud' becomes tiring, if you have to look at it day after day.

Thought I'd mention that our kitchen has a brick red linoleum floor, federal blue and white wallpaper and chair pads that are oatmeal. All of the colors are somewhat muted, so it looks pleasingly colorful, yet not too loud. The wallpaper and flooring were there when we bought the house and although they need replacing, I've enjoyed the match. Cabinets are a med. dark brown.

Thank-you to all of you for your helpful responses.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating KitchenNovember 13, 2010
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
Paint Cans with Color Spectrum and Brushes
Saving Money on Paint (Interior)
Feng Shui Decorating, Feng Shui Decorating
Feng Shui Decorating