Locating Charities That Assist Families With Food

Does anyone know of any places that will help people out with food?

By Lucille from Racine, WI

If you are so hard up that you need help with food, go to the Department of Social Services and apply for food stamps. There are income guidelines and guidelines on the value of your car. If you don't meet these guidelines a lot of larger communities have "soup kitchens." They are probably called different names, where I live it is called The Banquet. They serve one meal a day, which does help stretch a person's groceries when needed. Some churches have small amounts of food that they can give out on occasion.

There are also food pantries. However, where I live you need to obtain a voucher from a social worker of some kind. In some places the Salvation Army gives out food. If you are a senior citizen and meet income guidelines some states give out what are referred to as senior commodities, however in those boxes there is a lot of items that some people won't use.

There are many places that help with food assists. You could look up places on google.com. Look in the yellow pages under Charitable Service and Organizations. Your town and state houses have information that will put you in contact with food charities. Try Habitat for Humanity and Catholic Charities. Also, Salvation Army as well as local churches.

Salvation Army and other charities are your best bet for that kind of help. The advice being presented is on target with one exception: I'm not aware of Habitat for Humanity providing food assistance. That organization builds houses for low income families.

Since you live in Racine, which is large enough to most likely have food bank help, you will probably find at least one if not more near you. You can look in your local phone book or call Goodwill, Salvation Army, Catholic Family Services, DHS or your city offices to find out where they are located and/or what their phone numbers are. Try to telephone the food bank(s) first if you can and find out what hours they are open and what identification you might need. In my city the bank is only open week days between the hours of 9:30 am and 11:15 am and you need ID and least a recent utility bill with your current address with you, so plan accordingly.

You've had some great tips here. I'd only add that you should have a service called Information and Referral. They can also give you the information on food pantries and other food assistance. In my area I can dial 211 and be connected to the service, but I don't know if it's nationwide, sorry.

Better Living Charity AdviceNovember 7, 2010
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
Michigan Christmas Charities
Oregon Christmas Charities
New Jersey Christmas Charities
Washington Christmas Charities
🎄
🍂