Desert Gardening Tips

I live in the desert Southwest and it was costing and arm and a leg to water my plants even though we have no lawn and plant desert adapted versions of plants. Trying to water sparingly just killed plants and made the survivors look droopy.

Finally, I bit the bullet and put in a drip system, which in the summer we run at night to reduce evaporation. Our water use was cut by 75% and the plants have never looked better.

To keep the drip working in this hard water area, every few weeks I pull all the drip tips and soak in vinegar, or CLR if they are really bad. Some of the desert adapted plants are versions of plants grown elsewhere, such as desert gold peaches, and some types of roses which bloom almost all year here with very little care and not much water. So we are able to have a nice, pretty yard that isn't all cactus, eat fresh fruit, and not spend a fortune.

By Chiismychi from Tucson, Az

I see this tip was posted a year ago, but I just received it today. It was very helpful and timely, as we are moving to Sierra Vista next month and I was wondering how I was going to have any kind of plants there. Thank you Chiismychi.

I too live in the Southwest and have very hard water. Here's a suggestion for those of you who cannot afford a drip system. If you use bottled water, fill up a big jug of it, and go water your plants with it. All of your plants, as well as your family will enjoy the benefits of water that is not filled with Fluoride or other harmful substances. I am disabled and I can still water my plants using bottled water and once a month try Schultz Plant Food, about 7 drops to a gallon, which will give them everything they need to grow and flourish. Just a hint for those who cannot afford to spend money on installation and care of drip systems.