Treating Serious Behavioral Issues In Children

You might suspect your child might have a disability, screening for disabilities at the child's school is the first step.

Check out psychologists and such for treatment if you feel you can treat the problem or situation on an outpatient basis.

Serious Behavioral Issues:

Self Harm, etc. Sometimes at this level, the child will need to be stabilized at an inpatient facility. In order to put this into motion you must go to the hospital and ask for the child to be evaluated and see if he/she needs stabilization treatment.

This just means that the child will be kept at a hospital or clinic type facility for a few days to a few weeks to see what meds might help the child with his/her symptoms.

The facility will contact you by phone and communicate what they are doing and what they have found. When stabilization is through, then they are refereed to counseling and med therapy on an outpatient basis.

My daughter had to be stabilized about probably 10 times before we were able to say she was functioning at the best level she could. I am so thankful that these resources are available and the internet is a great place to learn.

Home Visit:

Ongoing home visits to support the child and parents. Sometimes they would just come over and talk to my daughter. Other times, they would work out a plan to take her out to eat, etc. She began to look forward to these helpful visits. I loved them, they are kind of a way to keep up on the child's progress in between psychiatrist visits.

One of the Greatest Resources is the Internet!

Always research, research, research. Hope this helps someone. :) I had to find it out on my own, no one walked me through the resources and encouraged me to file for disability for the child. Keep up the filing until you get it! :)

By Robyn from TN

Health & Beauty AdviceFebruary 26, 2009
Broody Hen
Dealing With a Broody Hen
Woman treating a dog's eyes.
Treating a Dog's Eyes
Aggressive dog bearing it's teeth and growling.
Dog is Aggressive Towards Children
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight