Problems Applying Transfers and Tattoos

I have some iron-on transfers or very colorful fake tattoos, I don't know which. I tried applying them to some bare wood trinket boxes first by rubbing them like you would a window transfer, then by ironing. They stuck moderately well, but the backing won't come off. When I tug at it the picture comes up from the wood surface.

I just pulled one off. It's a very detailed Chinese dragon. It is a little tacky, as though there's some sort of gum on the surface and it left a little residue on the box. If it's supposed to be peeled off first and applied that way, I can't seem to start an edge.

There are streaming cloud trails, whiskers, ears and other delicate parts to it that would be easily damaged if I am not careful. Has anyone worked with these things before? How do I get them free of their backing, which is a stiff white cardstock?

By nekocat from OR

Best Answer

You could try wetting it again and lightly rubbing the paper off. It will crumb off. I done this method with a paper to clay image transfer. Be extra careful when the image starts to appear.

Best Answer

You have to thoroughly wet the backing for about 30 seconds and then use a damp sponge to smooth out the design after transfer.

clothes iron
Crafts Using Iron On Transfers
Crafts AdviceJuly 16, 2009
Applying for a Passport, US Passport on White Background
Applying for a Passport
sequin iron-on transfers
Using an Iron-on Transfer
Temporary Tattoo
Making Temporary Tattoos
Photo of a woman's hands with acrylic nails on.
Applying Acrylic Nails