Clothing Bleeding Onto Itself

I washed a white piece of clothing with red thread embroidery and all the red bled onto the white, so now it is a shade of pink. Another piece of clothing that I washed had a maroon lace, the clothing itself is a self-print light beige, and the maroon lace bled onto the shirt. So now there are light maroonish color stains below the lace. (I washed both clothes separately).

I wanted to know will the boiling water and bleach method work on these shirts or will it completely ruin my clothes? Any other suggestions?

By XYZ

Boiling water could cause shrinkage. For the white shirt, you could take a q-tip and dip an end in bleach and dab the spots, it will be time consuming, but should work, then when you rinse the bleach out you will have to be careful that it doesn't run into the red, because you could end up with pink threads. Bleach will take the color out of anything colored. Whenever I have something colored that has a lighter color decoration or vice-versa, I use Shout brand Color Catcher sheets, found in the laundry department at stores. Whenever I have used these, I have had no problem with colors fading onto other things. I don't think they will work for correcting problems that a person has, but they sure work beforehand. My mother taught me when I was just a little girl to be really careful about colors that might run. back then that usually included washing items like that in cold water, by hand, then laying the item on a bath towel and rolling it up tightly to get the excess water out of it, then hanging it to dry.

New clothes with dyes that bleed can be soaked in salt water then dried prior to washing, this prevents the dyes from running.

My mother-in-law told me about soaking clothes in salt water, I have also heard about vinegar water, but never had any success with either one. Actually what I was told was that the soaking kept the clothes from fading, not from colors running into each other.

Try washing the items by themselves with 2 or 3 Shout Color Catcher Sheets, available in the laundry aisle at the supermarket. This product has saved several garments for me.