Auto Grease on My Dooney Burke Purse

My dooney burke is made of fabric. It's a creme color. There's a black dirty mark on the corner of my purse. The mark could be black grease from an Auto factory. Do anyone have any suggestions on how to clean my purse without making the mark worst?

Denise from Grand Prairie, Texas

I would use Goo Gone. IT is a multi serface cleaner and you can find it at any auto parts or sometimes at wal-mart Just blot a littlof it on the edge of your spot and see if it will work in your application. It has taken peanut butter out of a persian rug for me before (don't ask)

Plan setting aside almost a whole day to do this....

I'd begin by using K2R Stain Remover spray, comes with a brush on top of can, if it is still being sold. (Practice spraying to get familiar with the distance

needed to make a spray on just the stain.)

Turn blow dryer on hot for only one second and dry the spot quickly with the least amount of hot air.

Use cantop brush, or tooth brush, to gently brush off the dried powdery residue in two directions. Keep repeating this process if it makes no significant lightening of the fabric until you lift the stain.

Once a significant amount of the black stain is gone,

use a small amount of alcohol on a q-tip and gently

rub over just the outside layer of cloth, being as careful as possible not to soak with alcohol but rather to keep turning the q-tip to a clean spot on the cotton with each 2-3 wipes, observing whether or not any more of the black stain is coming off. If not, do not continue with the alcohol but blow dry on cold

until dry.

If only a little of the stain remains, I'd use a cotton terry rag wrapped finger to rub the spot after applying K2R once again. It's your best bet in my opinion. Then blow dry on hot and gently keep brushing in two directions until all gone.

Lastly, if slight amount of stain is still visable, I'd

use one drop of WD40(sprayed into the lid of the can

to get liquid) on a fresh q-tip and apply lightly but firmly, carefully checking the q-tip to see if it is removing more of the remaining stain. If so, keep

repeating with new q-tips until it seems to be all

To remove any WD40, I'd use K2R one last time, blow dry hot and quickly, and brush gently in two directions.

I'd be very surprised if the stain remains after these

Note: important that you use LOTS of q-tips, clean cloth turned often, and NOT spread the blackness of the stain any larger than it is, if at all

possible. Should you be wrong about what you believe the stain to be, such as you find right away

that the K2R has no effect whatsoever on the stain,

go on to the alcohol and check for black residue on the q-tip. If there is significant blackness right away,

the stain is possibly black marker, not permanent, or black ballpoint ink. Continue with extreme care and using LOTS of q-tips to wipe and turn, wipe and

turn, using both ends until each q-tip is used up.

If none of these steps work, it is likely India Ink dye, a permanent staining ink and will NOT come out. Remember the cloth is originally glued to the leather backing, so this is why it is so IMPORTANT not to allow any of the liquids

make the stain too wet.

Should the cloth begin to separate from its leather backing at any point of any process, stop immediately, blow dry HOT then

cold and press HARD back down, if possible, weighting the cloth down with something heavy such as a 2liter full of Sprite for 24 hrs. If the cloth will not stick, wait 24 hours and try one last time, knowing you made one of the very best efforts to correct and clean it gently. If you have access to any sort of new syringe and needle, such as is used by diabetics, you can try injecting school glue that is slightly watered down carefully and slowly under the cloth with the needle of the syringe. Do not inject too much, nor mash the cloth down too hard so as not to bring any of the glue to the top surface. It dries

clear and shiny, so I'd just take it slow and careful.

Any stain removal on any material is a risk, so only you can determine if you want to live with the stain

or take the risk by being careful, mindful, and undistracted, patiently following my suggestions.

I have repaired more items than I could ever have

documented, but do not profess to be ANY sort of

professional at doing so. I do not know of any other sort of glue for cloth that would remain pliable and would also be able to be used in a syringe. Do you?

The only "alternative" is Almay EyeMakeup Remover, but use it lightly and check your white rag very often to check your progress. I do not believe it would need to be removed from the cloth once the

stain is gone. It might be a good idea to try this first, except it is a type of silicone, I believe, and might coat the stain making it waterproof and resistant to those processes I suggested.

God bless you.

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceAugust 30, 2006
grease stain on carpet
Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
cleaning grease off wallpaper
Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper
Thief Breaking into Car
Preventing Auto Theft
Cleaning a Dooney and Bourke
Cleaning a Dooney and Bourke Purse