Clam Chowder

Serve with warmed sourdough bread or even in sourdough bread bowls.

• 1/2 lb. bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 5 potatoes, peeled and diced
  • Ad
  • 2 large celery ribs, diced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 (6.5 oz.) cans chopped or minced clams with juice
  • 2 (1.8 oz.) packages dry leek soup mix (I use Knoor)
  • 1 quart half and half
  • Oyster Crackers for garnish

Place the bacon in a large pot and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, leaving the drippings in the pot and set the bacon aside. Stir the potatoes and celery into the bacon fat, season with the salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, while stirring frequently.

Pour the juice from the clams into the pot, and add enough water to just cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low heat, cover and simmer until the potatoes are just tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.

Gently stir the leek soup mix into the potatoes then gently stir in the clams, reserved bacon, and half and half. Cook, while stirring, until the chowder comes to a simmer and thickens, about 10 minutes. Serve garnished with oyster crackers.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

I have made this exact recipe. Don't know if I got the recipe here or on another recipe site. Any way, it is the best! Easy too!

Thanks for commenting, Karifl! That's interesting that you have made this very exact same recipe. I can't remember where I found the original recipe either, but I do remember that it was last year and that I made at least one change to it. If I remember correctly it was using celery instead of mushrooms, or maybe it was carrots, because I couldn't stand the flavor of whichever one it was the first time I tried it. You should try yours with celery next time. :-)

Clam Chowder Recipes, A spoonful of creamy New England Clam Chowder.
Clam Chowder Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups ChowderNovember 4, 2010
Seafood Chowder
Seafood Chowder Recipes
Vegetable Chowder
Vegetable Chowder Recipes
skillet of linguine and clams
Pasta with Clam Sauce Recipes
Crab Chowder
Crab Chowder Recipes