Unclogging a Toilet

How do I unclog a toilet?

By Tisha from Stockbridge, GA

Best Answer

The best way is to purchase a plumbing "snake" from a home improvement store and use it to run down your plumbing line from the toilet to the sewer. It should unblock any obstruction you have in your line. With kids it is always a good idea to have one handy, lol!

Just got thru reading maybe 1/4-1/2 the posts, yes this is amazing! I know I love Dawn--now I REALLY love Dawn! I've not had problems as fierce as most of these posts; but when I first read Tisha's question I just had to check this out. Why? The first thing that came to mind was HOW one uses a plunger. Most people I know or have watched try to plunge a toilet try to push everything down. The proper, really effective way, is to pull up.

As SusLuvsVintage (5/17/2009) mentioned, the type of plunger makes a difference as well. What you want is to be able to completely cover the 'out-go hole' with the plunger, push down slowly as far as possible with whatever type you have, and then quickly pull up. If once doesn't work, do it again. It's the suction that breaks stuff loose and allows it to drain down. Pushing, trying to shove it further down, only compounds the problem.

I don't know the problem with our toilet, but it stops up fairly regularly. We don't have children [diapers, stuffed toys, GI Joes an' such!] and don't toss the scooped kitty poop in there either. I guess it's just a low-flow, tiny pipe toilet, new toilet in a 95-year-old house! But for the get-'em-quick stop-ups, the pull-up plunging works with one or two pulls.

I'd love to try the Dawn & water trick, but I'm sure not gonna intentionally plug up the toilet to do it!

What kind of soap works? Is it liquid dish soap used in the sink or dish soap powder used in a dishwasher? Either way, how much do you use?

You guys are awesome! Just like a lot of you, was just going to call the plumber for our condo, have 2 washrooms side-by-side, one was plugged yesterday and cleared overnight then this morning the other clogged. Found this site and read through all the successes and told hubby (he was very very frustrated by this point) and said I'm going to try it and he said "fine, go right ahead" (snarky) lol then started the process, only had Tide liquid detergent and went through the process, he got interested and whoosh lol worked like a charm! Thank you, thank you. He is now a happy happy camper LOL. Yes:D OH did read someone that said it melted the wax ring, did that happen to anyone else? Was a bit worried about that and the heat of boiling water.

I was probably the most unsure about this method. Have been working on a clogged toilet (two kids that use way too much tp) for the last couple of days. Dreading calling someone to help fix this, I tried the method. At first I wasn't patient and speeded through the process. Didn't work. Next did it over again and let the soap sit over night. Next morning woke up and poured hot sink water in the toilet. Clog went down and the toilet starting flushing normally again. Yeah!

I thought this sounded logical and would work. It did but not the first time. I carefully followed the instructions and was upset when it didn't work. Several times I used the plunger after the Dawn and hot water treatment. I waited and tried again the next day and after several plunges it worked!

This saved me so much! Thank you!

Unclogging a Toilet
Unclogging a Toilet
Home and Garden Repair Home PlumbingMarch 12, 2011
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Toddler looking in open toilet
Plastic Ball Stuck in Toilet
Snaking a toilet
Products for Unclogging a Toilet
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet