TipsFrugal Living

Watch School Closures for Discarded Treasures

The elementary school across the street from my home was closing its doors due to a new school was built in another location. The teachers had to clean out their classrooms. So, one evening, I was over at the playground with my girls and noticed a very large dumpster. In it was 2 wooden bookshelves, a wooden TV cart, a heavy duty plastic rolling shelves that I just COULD NOT leave behind! (along with other items, a cute little lamp with a "energy efficient light bulb, an unopened bag of markers, new pencils, new crayons, plastic containers and bins, etc.) Anyway, I sanded the wooden pieces and spray painted them! You would never be able to tell they were "trash" treasures now!

April from Demorest, GA

Great idea! Also, keep an eye out at the end of the school year for trash treasures. Often retiring teachers will toss good school supplies. Sometimes there are old text books/reading books thrown away if the school is changing texts next year. These are great readers for younger students. They can also be taken to facilities that offer after-school programs as reference material for homework. I believe in recycling and reusing anything possible and hate to see these things go to waste.

What a great thing you did pulling these things out of the dumpster! It is so sad that we have so much waste today. Look what your tax dollars did! They ended up in the trash.