Waste DisposalGreen Living

Disposing of a Microwave

Does anyone know the best way to dispose of a dead microwave? The safest for Mother Earth and humans?

Thanks!
Shirley from Near Grand Rapids, MI

if you live in the city of Grand Rapids, curbside pickup will come get your microwave for a fee - see http://www.ci.g  x.pl?page_id=439

if you live outside the city of Grand Rapids, you will have to take it yourself - see http://www.acce  e/Appliances.htm

Why not cut off the cord, (wrap the cut off end in electrical tape if you need to to make it safe,) and donate it to a daycare for their kitchen play area?

thrifty naturalist @ gmail com

At one time tv's and microwaves were put in the trash but because they contain heavy metals you are no longer allowed to do that.Many states have enacted laws to have them disposed properly.In my state I would have to take it to a recyle center and be charged $15 dollars to dispose it.

I have no trouble with city curb side special pick up for appliances of any size/variety. However, you have given me an idea for a tip. Watch and see if I can make it work? lol Thank you. : )

Some folks will take old appliances to use for scrap parts. Just ask around.

I think the idea was concern for radiation leaks. Daycare would not seem the likely answer.