My Hair is Getting Darker in the Sun

I have golden blonde hair naturally, with brown highlights, that are also natural. A year ago I dyed my hair light brown, then medium brown. It took a year to go back to blonde, sort of. I dyed my hair a medium blonde, a little lighter than my natural blonde color, and the orange from the medium brown is going away.

But, now my hair has a few different shades of blonde in it and my roots are turning a light brown. If my roots are turning brown, does that mean my hair is changing to brown or does it have to do with me dying my hair.

Also, I live in the sun so I find it weird that my hair is getting darker in the sun. I just wanted to know why and is that possible?

By Tawa from Kingston, NY

I don't believe that your hair is actually getting darker, but that the hair growing out is virgin hair that has never been lightened by the sun. If you keep allowing it to grow out, it will get some highlights from the sun and be close to the color you remember. However, that being said, most blonds do have hair that darkens somewhat as they age.

And just to reassure you, dying your hair has no effect on the natural color of your hair. But, all three of my sons had blond hair as little guys, and now all three have medium brown hair as adults. It could be the same with your hair.

I too am a natural blonde, but it has darkened a bit as I have gotten older. When I was younger and dyed my hair darker, I was surprised to find that as it grew out my naturally light hair seemed to disappear and it looked as if I were losing my hair where it was parted. This shows that it is the contrast between the light and dark that seems to make the natural hair darker or lighter than it is. Your hair is probably growing in the same color it always was but with the dyed blond hair being a shade or two lighter then your virgin hair seems darker in comparison next to it. As it grows and you trim away the lightened hair, and the sun lightens your virgin hair as it always does with light haired people you will find that your hair is probably the same as it always was. Good Luck, Jen

I have three sisters with "blonde" hair. I have noticed over the years that they have darkened to a deeper blonde & in one case a medium brunette. I think it's kind of the norm for blonde hair to darken as you age. My mom, on the other hand has developed a combination of ash, brown & grey, very pretty & at 82 she has yet to color her hair.

Coloring your hair has nothing to do with the color of the new growth, it is what it is. I am technically a brunette at the age of 49, but started going grey in my early 20's & now I am 90% grey & have been coloring my hair for years.

HTH God Bless Trish in CT

my hair actually darkens with sun but roots are blonde as always been my hole life and noticed hair that never sees sun is also blonde still so it actually in my case is sun that darkens. guess i have weird hair.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringJuly 23, 2011
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎄
🍂