Vaseline Hairball Remedy

To prevent troublesome hairballs, apply a dollop of Vaseline petroleum jelly to your cat's nose. The cat will lick off the jelly, lubricating any hair in its stomach so it can pass easily through the digestive system.

Source: My vet told me this years ago.

By JodiT from Aurora, CO

Not too comfortable with this. I did research on this and, yes, it's usually the first or main ingredient in store products. Most advice I found suggests very small amounts once in awhile only. If you are interested and able to try more natural alternatives, it is suggested that your cat eats high quality canned food, no dry, and gets daily brushing. There are natural ingredient products which are better for your cat, but will also cost more.

Petroleum? Please think twice about this one. "Years ago" we didn't know better, about a lot of things. I don't think the same vet would recommend petroleum jelly any more. Please use a natural hairball remedy for your cats - you really don't want them to ingest petroleum products. It may cost a little more, but isn't your pet worth it?

Close-up Black and White of Long Haired
Preventing Cat Hairballs
Pets CatsJanuary 10, 2011
Remedies for Static Hair
Remedies for Static Hair
Smelly Hands
Remedy for Smelly Hands
Removing Vaseline Stains
Petroleum Jelly
Uses for Petroleum Jelly