Recipe For Kuchen With Concord Grapes

Does anyone have a recipe for a kuchen made with concord grapes with their seeds? My German grandmother used to make one and she did not seed them. I also think she left their skins on. Thanks.

Maryeileen from Brooklyn, OH

Dear Maryeileen,

I wish I had this receipe for you. I too remember my German grandmother making these cakes with grapes. Also with peaches or cottage cheese. You really brought back memories for me.

There was a concord grape kuchen recipe in the Plain Dealer the other week- maybe last Wednesday or the Wednesday before. Go on their website and see if you can retrieve it. My Grandma in Maple Heights also made this kuchen- she made it look so easy!

Susanna, The reader who submitted the question to The Plain Dealer is my Dad! (The recipe that Bev printed in her column is not the one we're looking for.)

My Dutch grandmother made grape Kuchen (skins and seeds) and I am looking for recipe also. I remember whole grapes in the kuchen and also on top with lots of sugar?

Did you ever get the recipe? I would love to have it. My mother made this every fall (along with peach, apple and cheese kuchens) The aroma was intoxicating. Skins and seeds never bothered us!

Grape Kuchen

2 cups sifted flour

3 teas. baking powder

1/2 teas. salt

1/2 cup sugar

1/3 cup shortening ( I use unsalted butter)

1 beaten egg

1 cup milk

4 cups of Concord grapes (approx.)

Leave the grapes on the stems, and rinse in a colander, and let sit and drain while you mix the dough. Don't take them off the stems to rinse, because they absorb too much water.

Sift the dry ingredients together. Cut the shortening into the dry ingredients until dry and crumbly. Beat the egg with the milk, and add to the dry ingredients. Mix until just blended.

Spread batter into a 9 x 13" pan, that has been greased and floured.

Starting at one corner of your pan, remove the grapes from the stems, and place them side by side, as close together as you can, making rows across the pan. Push them slightly into the dough, just a little. Cover the entire top of the dough with grapes.

Mix together to make a crumb topping:

1/2 cup sifted flour

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/4 teas. cinnamon

1/4 cup melted butter

Crumble this mixture over the top of your grapes in the pan, and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.

mjk4: I used your recipe and everyone in my family says it's the closest to Grandma's that they've had. Thanks!

Apple Kuchen
Kuchen Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts DessertsOctober 28, 2007
Bunch of concord grapes against autumn leaves.
Growing Grapes
Grapes growing under a net to protect them from the birds.
Protecting Grapes from Birds
bowl of red, green, and black grapes
Pickled Grape Recipes
Concord Grapes
Growing Concord Grapes