Princess Party Cake

If you're looking for a stunning cake and don't want to purchase specialty pans and dolls, then this is your cake.

1. Use your preferred boxed cake mix and mix according to directions.

2. Pour the cake batter into a greased/sprayed large glass/Pyrex bowl that has a dome shape to it. I used a glass 2 quart measuring bowl (Pampered Chef).

3. Bake according to package directions.

4. Allow cake to cool in the bowl.

5. Once cool, invert onto the the plate that you'll be serving the cake on. (I used a white serving plate) Use a serrated knife to shape the cake into a skirt shape.

6. Find or borrow a spare Barbie doll (or something similar) and remove her legs. Use a scrap of fabric to create the bodice of the dress. I used Fabri-Tac to hold everything together. Style hair into desired fashion.

7. Spread a very thin layer of icing over entire cake.

8. Use rolled white fondant for the skirt. (I used Wilton, 1 pound box). Roll the fondant into a thin layer that can be draped over the cake. Trim excess and create the folds of skirt with fondant.

9. Gently press doll into the top of the cake.

10. Using royal icing, decorate around the waist of doll, the skirt and around the cake plate, if desired.

This can be made the night before the party and stored in the fridge until ready to serve.

By April from Albany, GA

princess party cake

I have to hand it to you, that's the best, simplest, most frugal cake and the most spectacular I have seen for a young girls birthday cake, very very well done! Carol UK

That is beautiful. Thank you.

You did a lovely job. Great idea!

Even a more simple way, is to use a bundt pan after it's cool put the cake on a plate stand the doll in the middle and decorate. you may have to trim the bottom of the cake so it sits flat on the plate.

I definitively want to try this for my granddaughter's fourth birthday! Thank you so much the cake is just beautiful.

Little girl at her princess themed birthday party.
Planning a Princess Theme Party
Holidays and Parties Parties Party ThemesJuly 23, 2009
Castle Cake
Making a Castle Cake
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Princess Amidala (Star Wars) Costume
little girl dressed as a princess
Making a Princess Costume
little girl dancing on bed in princess room
Color Advice for a Princess Room