Ice Scraper Ideas

Have an icy windshield but no ice scraper? Here are some other things you can use in a pinch. Post your ideas.

You can use credit cards and spatulas.

I use cassette tape cases in a pinch, they work great!!

I always start my car and let it run to defrost the windows......

I used an old licence plate - it took a LOT off the windshield in the least amount of time-- & have also used an empty tuna can

It was in the back with water for the cat -:)

Sometimes we have an extension cord from the garage to the fence - hanging near where we park the car- to plug in an old blow dryer-- believe me - it is REALLY fast defrosting the ice !

Got it 2nd hand at a rummage sale for $2

And another thing I learned-- when it's bad weather-- back your car into the drive in case you need a jumpstart - it makes it alot easier for someone to do - all they have to do is pull in !

& if you make sure your car faces East in the morning- any little bit of sun it gets will help to soften the ice or frost from the night before !

Top Comment

used this for an inch then looked an windsheid was clearly scratched! DONT DO THIS!! THIS GUY PROBABLY HASNT TRIED IT!

I haven't gotten a chance to use this tip yet but will likely do so before winter is over!

Use an old beach towel to cover your windshields. Then supposedly it's a simple lift & drive concept!

Sounds like a great way to reuse those used gift cards that you got from christmas.

I am afraid to scratch the window. I let the car defrost the window and then use the ice scraper from CVS.

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

An old CD works great, like one of the numberous ones you receive in the mail for internet providers.

Pour cold water (hot water will crack the glass) while running the windshield wipers (be careful not to get splashed!) - no scraper needed - ice turns to slush and windshield wiper wipes it away!

A plastic Spatula

A Plastic lid off a can of something in your trunk

cut the bottom of a plastic soda bottle either use it by cup side down.

You can also use the rest of the bottle by flattening it at it's opening .using your gloved hands hopefully too take of the frost

Ice on the other hand carefully chip it until an opening with a flat screwdriver .Then sit inside you vehicle till the defroster loosens the rest..

You will take it off it sheets.

If your defroster doesn't work Get a Taxi or call off

It will take that long.

Yes I've been their without gloves yet.

If your windshield is icy and you have no scraper, you can use the edge of a credit card or a store shopper card to scrape in a pinch.

By Becki in Indiana

Just a warning: be very careful using any sharp metal objects to scrape your windshield - my friend scratched hers pretty bad before she realized it was happening. Make sure to keep the blade you're using flat.

If you use credit cards, be careful not to scrape off the magnetic stripe on the back of the card. If you scrape off that stripe, the card won't be able to be read in those automatic card readers (that you "swipe" the card through).

We don't have a lot of ice down here in the south, however, during those few times, I have found that using a plastic putty knife works great!

You can get cans of de-icer just for this very purpose at most any auto parts store. It's great to have on hand!

You can also use CD cases.

My son has an ice scrapper that as a metal end & the oppostive end is a squeegy for drying off the excess water. It also has a very small miror scraper for use on mirrors. It also has a plastic scapper side on the opposite end by small scrapper.

Thank you, Jeanine

Do you have or have you any idea where I might locate something like this in the ice scraper line?

I just removed the snow from my car with a dust pan from my kitchen. It was only snow; no ice.

Use a ruler of any kind. Metal sided works best. Also, for those with fancy engineering or architectural rulers, you have a nice handgrip to keep it level!