My Daughter's Hair is Not Growing

My daughter's hair has stopped growing? What vitamins can my daughter of 4 take?

By MigLiz from WA

If she can swallow a pill I recommend Biotin. It was recommended to me for helping grow hair after I lost a lot of hair in a hospital. Check with your doctor first though to make sure it will be okay for her. Biotin also helps finger nails grow stronger, also.

If you think your child has a vitamin deficiency, the best advice for vitamin therapy is going to come from your pediatrician. Following blood work which is going to tell the doctor just what and how serious the deficiency is, he or she will prescribe a vitamin and/or mineral supplement she needs.

There can be other reasons for hair not growing, and you should be aware of what's going on in her little body. Don't take chances.

Wishing you the best.

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

Please take her to a doctor! I was a hairstylist for 35 years (as were my parents before me) and I have never heard or seen anyone's hair 'stop growing' (maybe break off from harsh treatment but never quit growing)!

I agree with her seeing a doctor before doing anything on your own. Just want to add when I was a teenager (in the 50's) I babysat for a neighbor who had short wavy hair. She never needed a hair cut, because her hair never got any longer than it was.

Take her to her pediatrician.

She is 4. Take her to the doctor. This could be a symptom of something more serious than hair not growing.

For hair that never seems to grow but is not patchy, check out Short Anagen Syndrome or Loose Anagen Syndrome. These are hair disorders diagnosed by a dermatologist. There is a large community of both on Facebook under 'Short Anagen Syndrome, Hair Disorder'.

I also have a daughter that is 5 and her hair will not grow ether. She also suffers from phorisis (a skin disorder) and asma. Now her phorisis is full body and we finally got it under control. It took us to take her to a dermatolist and he put her on 3 different creams for her skin, and tested her for streph throat.

So everyone who is suffering from this other skin disorder please ask more questions because phoriasis is misdianosed in a lot of patients and a lot of doctors say it is something else when it's not, and the flar ups are caused by streph throat.

As for the hair not growing we still have not figured out what is going on with our daughter so if anyone has any ideas please let me know then. I am thinking of takin her back to her dermatologist to see what he thinks now that we have her skin under control. Good luck everyone and God bless.

Young girl pulling on her hair
My Child's Hair is Not Growing
Parenting Toddler and Preschooler HealthMay 14, 2010
daddy daughter dance ideas
Planning a Daddy Daughter Dance
Mother Daughter Tea
Planning a Mother Daughter Tea
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink