DNA Testing for Dogs

Has anyone had their dog DNA tested to see exactly what breed(s) you have? I did the swab test on one dog and it came back totally wrong and someone asked me if we would consider a blood test. Before we 'waste' a good amount of money again, I just want to ask opinions. Thanks!

By trundgirl from Cincinnati, OH

Never knew such a thing exsisted. Where did you get this done at the vets? What breed did they say it was and what do you think it is? Did you ask how much this blood test would be and what would it tell you differently than the DNA test.

I can't remember the name of the company we went through but it was $75 and they had to redo it. I had already listed our Sadie in the 'what breed do you think she is' and got some good feedback. I tend to agree more with the whippet/shepherd mix the most. When we did the swab test they told us she was a chow/shar pei mix. No way, I'm sorry but just no way! So I want to do the blood test but want to see if anyone else has ever done it.

I'm not trying to be funny but why spend the money trying to id breed? This is a beautiful dog. If someone ask you the breed just reply dog.

Oh I know. I'm just curious. I'm very much into my heritage and I think that is what plays into it. Just something I would like to know, nothing other than that. My three girls are my babies and while I know the backgrounds of my two 'skin' babies, my furbabies are a mystery.

Coincidentally, I've come across dog DNA breed test from this site - http://dogdnabasics.com

If allows you to know more about your dog's identity and natural behavior especially your dog is a mixed breed dog.

THAT was the swab test people that we went through and got the dumb results. Maybe it would work for someone else, I don't know. Good luck to anyone to chooses them.

I am being sincere and not trying to be a smart alec in asking this question: I can't help but wonder how you know for certain the swab test results were 'completely' wrong?

If it's really that important to you then maybe you should spend the money to have another test done with a different DNA company. It will either prove or disprove the test results you've already had done but this time spend a little extra and do it via your vet's office.

Heard they were wack. Your dog is pretty and a mutt, plain and simple, honestly she could be so far mixed that a breed, or even many wouldn't be able to come into play. If you have problems you want to address, try a good dog trainer (Ceasar, the Dog Whisperer), just because a dog is a "breed" doesn't make them have to stay to those standards. I finally had a girl, go figure, she loves dinosaurs more than Barbies! good luck!

Again, I just see people asking things on here all the time and I just put out that question to see if anyone else has ever done these tests. That's it, pure and simple. I'm not worried about it, I'm not stressed about her; just curious. Again, I'm into my heritage and family tree and just thought it would be neat to find out my dog's lineage. No big deal at all. Deeli, you weren't being sarcastic one bit, I appreciate the feedback I just think people are thinking that I am placing way too much concern on what my dogs are than I am. Again, I'm just curious if anyone has every had these tests done. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sometimes you just want to know, sometimes you have to know. Some areas (millitary bases, towns and counties) don't want certain breeds, even if mixed. And if they let you have your rottweiler or pitt bull, they will charge you, make you get insurance and so forth. So, yes, this can be an important thing to do.

As far as what breed do I think she is, Chow/Shepard. Everyone's half right, lol.

And to answer the real question, my uncle DNA tested his dogs often and used the swabs, but this was for purebreds. A blood test may be needed for a mixed breed.

Your resonse makes perfect sense and I understand the curiosity. I try not to be cheap on important things but, in this, the cheapness in me reared its ugly head. I try to separate cheap from thrifty. So in this case keeping in mind thrifty, I would research the company I went with to make sure that you get the best most reliable results for your money?

They did doggie DNA testing on the Rachael Ray show a while back. Bernadette Peters had adopted a shelter dog and she was curious about the breed for medical reasons. Blood DNA showed it was part Golden Retriever, Chow Chow, + too many mixes to ID. Go to her site and look at the pic. I wouldn't have guessed that as the mix. Check it out...So your results could be correct.

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/show/segments/view/doggie-dna/

Tracey in Jacksonville FL

I have a full Chow and I do see some similarities in the face and ears, and the tail and hindquarters. Body couldn't be farther apart though. Looks like a love, what a smiley dog!

Tracey's link from the Rachel Ray Show is great! I love how the shelter calls the mixed breeds 'Muttigree' ;-) LOL!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Tracey1, thanks a bunch for that link. I'm going to do that test I think. I'll have to come back on here and let you guys know what comes of it. Maybe I will be the one washed up when I say no to chow and sharpei? heheehehe. I'll let you guys know. And no matter what, Sadie Mae is my special princess. She is just the sweetest thing there is. She has some 'things' going on but I will continue to work with her and just keep on loving her. She is a gift along with my other two dogs and I can't imagine life without them!

My brother has a 100% Boxer. He did a DNA test just to see how accurate they are. He did not tell them a thing or send a pic...they were 100% spot on. I want to do it for my Sophia (Shelter said she is a Schnauzer mix...people think with Yorkie - Snorkie? Yowzer? ;) I guess I best get the name of who he used.

Pets Dogs AdviceJune 8, 2009
mixed breed dog
What Breed is My Dog?
Testing Your Own Garden Soil
Testing Your Own Garden Soil
Hand shovel and soil.
Testing Soil for Growing Food
Pit Bull
Is My Pit Bull Full Blooded?
🎉
🎄