Painting Walls to Coordinate With Burgundy Carpet

Burgundy Carpet
Your carpet color plays an important role in choosing a wall paint color. This is a guide about painting walls to coordinate with burgundy carpet.

What color should I paint the walls in my living room? It has a deep burgundy carpet and a red brick wall with the flat TV screen on it.

By Deanna

Pick a tint of the burgundy, pale brownish rose, something that is the same color family, but much lighter. From the picture the room looks long and narrow, so something that will make the room look larger and especially wider might be best. It might help to paint the brick also. Built in cabinets on either side of brick might be a solution to give the room more unity. And a place to put things.

How about a medium green with a slightly yellowish tone?

Marg from England.

My bathroom is burgundy and very light pink. I also use a seafoam green for accents.

I have a pair of sheets from the 80s. The fitted sheet has burgundy roses tied with blue ribbons on a very light gray background & the flat sheet is a dark charcoal color. I always wanted to do a room in those colors with light gray walls, charcoal trim & burgundy for either the carpet, furniture or accessories and maybe blue pillows.

What color do I paint the living room walls? I have black furniture, wrought iron with glass tables, and burgundy carpet and curtains? I am wanting to sell.

By Lori from Chicago, IL

White. Sets off the carpet.

I would go with a neutral, a taupe, beige or very light gray. Any of those would work and any prospective buyer would not find them offensive.

Unless the room is very large, I would go with an off white. White makes a room look larger and it goes with everything.

Taupe/beige looks great. My daughter in law had the beige carpet and did one large wall burgundy, the others 3 light sand. Beautiful.

I am decorating a toddlers room that has a burgundy color carpet. Do you have any suggestions on wall colors?

Satiera

Answers:

Wall Colors For Room With Burgundy Colored Carpet

A friend has burgundy carpet in her son's room, and they painted the walls a beige color with white trim. It looked really good. (05/16/2005)

By Julie

Be bold. I think dark purple and deep golds and oranges work great with burgundy. You could go for a sort of Indian or Moroccan motif. Nowadays almost anything goes with wall colors. Choose some great paintings or wall hangings that integrate all the colors you use. Have fun. (05/16/2005)

By Mary

Dark green and cream colors. I have a room like that. I placed a dark green on the bottom, a chair rail that is painted burgundy and cream on top. I also painted one of the walls all dark green (no chair rail). Maybe you could do that with the wall that the bed goes on. It looks so nice. (05/17/2005)

By Donna

I would definitely keep it light and bright. Start with white walls. Add a navy or beige 12 inch strip about chair rail height, all around the room. Then stencil cars, trucks, road signs, etc., around this strip (for boys), or flowers, little animals, etc. (for girls). Be creative. You can hang pictures of family members above the strip, or start a theme of some kind. Have fun. (05/17/2005)

By Lisa

I think medium or pale pink walls for girls or light grey for boys. Then use different shades of pink for pillows, spreads, etc., for girls or black, burgundy and grey, for boys. (05/17/2005)

By tedsmom

A cousin of mine has burgundy carpet all through her house and in her daughter's room, she went with pretty colors of pinks, lavenders, and sage. The walls are light pink and a sage green chair rail stripe along the wall. Then she added small accents of burgundy in some silk flowers in cute colorful vases. She also took a plain burgundy pillow and attached pink flowers all over it. Then added pretty lavender floral pillows in girly designs. She then did a cute floor rug to match the bedding and brighten up the carpet. The curtains are sheers in pinks and lavenders. The valance is a solid pink with silk flowers attached. She gets compliments from all who see the room. it's very pretty.

For I boy I would go with a khaki colored wall and accent with navy blue and deep brick reds, would actually look really good with some of the sporty motif. Many have burgundy as the main color. (05/18/2005)

I'd recommend a latte or almond colour. It won't date and you won't get sick of it. (03/25/2007)

By halobaby

I think pure white or creams would make the room look elegant. Try using golds as an accent color. (07/30/2007)

By Kimberly

I painted my living room a rust. My entry way, I am thinking of painting a gold color. My rug is burgundy. (10/25/2008)

By Joann

I have a burgundy carpet, and I'd like to paint my walls. What color do you recommend? I was thinking about orange. What do you think? I live in small apartment, my furniture is beige.

Cinthia from Los Angeles, CA

Answers:

An earthy gold color looks great with burgundy. You could also put some burgundy and gold striped pillows on the couch to bring the colors together. (02/12/2008)

By Marnita

Burgundy and orange would clash terribly (unless that's the look you're going for), they're not even in the same color family. With your beige furniture a medium pink would be better. (02/12/2008)

By perfume and powder

I have painted my walls a very light pink. They look soft and warm with the burgundy. 99% white 1% pink! (02/12/2008)

By Pat

I think a light shade of beige, eggshell, off white, or a light gray would all be good choices. (02/12/2008)

By badwater

Cream, beige, or mauve sound good to me. (02/12/2008)

By Har'iet

I agree with those who said cream or light grey. A light shade of old gold would be good, too. (02/13/2008)

By thriftmeg

RE: Painting Walls to Coordinate With Burgundy Carpet

Go to the paint chip rack at your local Home Depot, Lowe's, wherever. Find your color of carpet, and go straight across to the oranges. The one in direct line with your burgundy color chip will be a good color choice. These displays are set up this way. I believe it works vertically as well. (02/24/2008)

By Sandy from Pittsburgh

If you have burgundy carpet it would look very loud and gaudy to paint your walls orange! Burgundy coordinates well with beige with splash of red or burgundy accessories here and there. Burgundy is very easy to contrast or coordinate with a few bits and pieces of black accessories. (05/18/2008)

By colormeright