Thrifty Cutworm Collars

If you garden in an area where you have to protect your tomato and pepper plants from cutworms, my husband has come up with a simple and free method. We buy our plants in 6 packs like the one in the photo. After removing the plants for planting, separate the sections, cut the bottom 1/2 inch or so off, Cut up the side on one corner, Slip this around the stem of your plant, and hold it in place by pushing a little soil against it. You can leave them in place for the season, or after the plant is well established, you may remove the collars.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

So simple...why didn't I think of this?? Thank you for sharing!

I just use the cardboard rolls from paper towels or toilet paper to put around the stem.

Been doing this for years. I take Cottage cheese, sour cream, deli plastic containers, anything from the grocery store. Cut out the bottoms and place around plant.

Especially helpful when watering as one can easily see how 'thirsty' a plant is by spraying water directly into the cup...faster it goes down, the more the plant needs.

My Dad used to make a collar out of folded newspaper.

Harlean from Hot Springs,

In simplicity is wisdom. Thank you for your husband's idea. It's been very helpful.

Dan

It's been a mystery until just now what has been cutting off my pepper seedlings. Now that I know I am going to try out your idea of a homemade collar.

Thanks!

Thanks!

I have a different way of making a collar by using a soup can or any can by cutting both the top and bottom off then slipping the can over the plant and pushing it into the ground. It aslo works for newly planted seeds to stop animals and birds from digging up the seeds.

I cut empty milk cartons into about 3 inch collars and slip the plants inside at planting time, burying them partly into the soil.

The easiest way I have found to prevent cutworm damage is to push a chopstick into the ground alongside the stem of your tomato at the time you plant. Cutworms need to have contact with the entire stem in order to do their dirty work and the chopstick prevents them from doing that. I save up my used chopsticks throughout the year - bring them home and wash them or save them from your take out meal. You can buy a good sized pack of them at the dollar store too, so it's a very economical and easy way to deal with cutworms.

Cutworm on grass
Getting Rid of Cutworms
Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlMay 7, 2008
Cleaning Shirt Collars
Cleaning Shirt Collars
Homemade Moisturizer in a jar near a fern leaf
Homemade Moisturizer Recipes
A dog wearing a collar.
Making a Dog Collar
Nice light blue dress shirt.
Making Shirt Collars Last Longer
🎄