Removing the Pickle Smell from Glass Jars

I am trying to get the pickle smell out of glass jars.

Patricia from Bristol, VA

Best Answer

Put some baking soda in the jar and put the lid on it and let it set for a day or two.

Best Answer

I put crumbled up newspaper in mine for a couple of days. Then remove the paper and wash the jars in hot sudsy water. If the smell is still there repeat the process using fresh newspapers.

Best Answer

I get pickles in large jars and when they are empty I put them without the lid on outside in the Sun for several days, bring them in and wash them and the pickle smell is gone. They make good Sun tea Jars.

Grams 72

Best Answer

I used mustard. Just put it in the jar let it set for a little bit then wash in hot soapy water. It worked for me, and you only need to use maybe a tablespoon of mustard.

I'd add 1 tsp. of bleach and two drops liq. Dawn, then

add boiling water and let sit 1 hour. Principal is that because pickles in vinegar, a mild acid, likely added to jars while hot, the glass expanded and soaked up the odor, one reason it may not be easy otherwise to just "wash" it out with this and that. If you heat (expand the glass), and add alkaline soap/bleach, it should not only neutralize the vinegar residue, but also remove the odor. Remove that the glass will be hot at first, cooler at the end of the hour, so be careful handling when hot. Good luck and God bless you.

newspaper worked for me as well.

Pickle and old fashioned salt and pepper shakers next to an empty jar with a fork in it.
Removing Pickle Odor from a Jar
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsSeptember 9, 2006
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Reusing Pickle Jars
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Fried Dill Pickle Chip Recipes
🎉
🎄