Homemade Dishwasher Powder

I have tried this recipe for dishwasher powder from another site and it wrecked my plastic baby bottles leaving a thick white film on them! Here's the recipe:

• 1 tablespoon Borax
  • 1 tablespoon Baking soda

Directions:

Mix; add to dishwasher. Use more baking soda for harder water.

What can I do? I would love to use this recipe, since it's so cheap and convenient. Do I need to add extra vinegar for the rinse? I am afraid I can get a film all over my dishwasher if I use this recipe and even more, plug the water ducts. I need more options.

Thanks,
Sweety from VA

i buy the cheapest powdered dishwasher detergent i can find, like at the dollar store, and cut it in half with the homemade recipe you described. i find it works just fine. my glassware and plastic ware come out clean, sparkling and no odors.

additionally, i do the same with my powdered laundry detergent.

You may have to soak your baby bottles in warm white vinegar and scrub really well. I would be very iffy about using someone's homebrew dishwasher powder. In addition, you may have to run several wash cycles with a cup of white vinegar each time-- just run the wash, not the dry cycle.

I also buy the cheapest dishwashing detergent and fill one of the cups, in the other I fill with baking soda for spotting and rinsing. So far, so good. Another idea is to buy any dishwasher detergent on sale and use coupons with it. I do this with many products to really cut costs!

don't use borax it's poisonous

They might have meant washing soda instead of baking soda. Some people also use borax and washing soda for laundry as well. I'm sorry that happened to you!

Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes DishesApril 19, 2007
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
An open dishwasher full of clean dishes.
Fixing a Leaking Dishwasher
Two bare feet.
Homemade Foot Powder
🎄