Repairing Damaged Laminate Flooring

I had a friend visit who uses a walker. It left a hairline scratch on my laminate floor. What would be a good way to fill in the scratch? Is there some product I could use to lightly fill in the scratches?

By Maryl from Newark, CA

To simply mask the scratches, apply shoe polish of the same color to tint the scratch to match the rest of the flooring.

December 21, 2010 Flag

I have high gloss laminate flooring in my house. I used Orange Glo and ruined it. To remove it, I used a dish sponge (on the rough side) and soapy water to remove it. I got rid of the residue, but now I see these scrub marks (not really scratches, but scrubbing marks) on the floor.

Can I do anything to revive the floor? Can I use any polish like Weiman hardwood and laminate floor polish (I think Weiman makes quality products) on the floor to revive the shine? Please help. Thank you.

By madhu from North Brunswick, NJ

March 28, 2010 Flag

I have laminate flooring and the other day we were repairing our refrigerator and pulled the frig out and oops. We scratched our flooring. The scratches are not deep. Could these be buffed out with a (soft) steel wool or some kind of polish of some kind?

By DeeDee from SC

Repairing Damaged Laminate Flooring

Here are several things that can work:

1. Instead of "buffing them out" and risking scratches that may not ever come out, melt crayons in the same colors as your floor and fill the scratches with the wax. If the scratches are not deep, then first warm the flooring with a blowdryer and into the scratches rub the crayons, then buff with a soft cloth after warming again.

2. Some people will match the wood grain with permanent pens of the same color then go over the marks with a tiny brush and clear fingernail polish or Future brand of Acrylic Floor "wax". The trick is to use a dark and light brown and maybe orange (depending on the color of your floor), then mix the colors together with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol. The rubbing alcohol makes permanent pens (like Sharpies) run together. These pens are available in many colors at any Craft Store. They come with super thin to super thick tips. Use the clear fingernail polish "only" in the scratches.

3. Old English Furniture Polish makes a dark and light color of scratch cover for scratched furniture. This stuff is simply amazing. Just rub into scratches, wait a few minutes then buff off with a cloth. Repeat if necessary.

4. The people that make Formica and other laminate counter tops make colors that can be blended to match any scratches in Formica. Look online or call the Formica people about purchasing these amazing scratch fillers. I've seen them used on DIY TV and you'd never know the scratch or deep grove was ever there.

5. Mix Acrylic paints to match you exact floor color then seal with a clear acrylic painting medium, which comes in Matte or Glossy. You'd carefully paint this into your groves with a tiny paint brush then before it dries buff of any excess with a soft cloth.

6. Call or e-mail your floors manufacture and ask them what they recommend. (02/15/2010)

By Cyinda

Repairing Damaged Laminate Flooring

I haven't damaged my floor so far, but at Home Depot or Lowes (can't remember which) I purchased a tube of laminate floor repairer in case I ever needed it. It comes in various colors. Maybe this would do the trick. (02/18/2010)

By roxrex

February 15, 2010 Flag

My laminate hardwood floor has been damaged due to the rollers on my chair. Does any one know of a way to fix this without having to replace sections?

Brian from Lyons, IL

Repairing Damaged Laminate Flooring

Our laminate flooring in our entryway got pretty badly scratched by a sliding closet door. I got a felt- tip touch up pen to match the floor at a home supply store and colored in the scratches. Now they aren't even visible. (01/13/2009)

By pkpowell

Fixing a scratch on laminate flooring.
Repairing Laminate Flooring
Home and Garden Repair Home FloorsDecember 21, 2010
Paint can, tray, brushes and supplies.
Painting Laminate Flooring
Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
Cleaning Laminate Flooring
Installing Laminate Flooring
Installing Laminate Flooring
laminate wood flooring
White Marks on Laminate Flooring