Urine Stains and Odors on Clothing

I need some quality product or home remedy for incontinence urine stains and smell removal from clothing. I've tried backing soda and vinegar, which works on some fabrics but not all.

By Sue from CA

Have you ever used Gain detergent? As well as adding Gain Fabric Softener and Gain dryer sheets. The fresh fragrance lingers for weeks even when the clothing is stored, wonderful! I use it because it does remove strong stinky funky odors. When washing white cottons, I always use liquid bleach (but still add the Gain fabric softener).

You may also add a scoop of Oxy-clean to your wash for all the non-white items along with the Gain products (don't use it with bleach).

If you're having a problem with carpets holding odors from the urine, use Bissell's Pet Odor Remover spray to wipe it down can also get the carpet shampooer and use the Pet Odor solution to use in the machine, excellent! will freshen the room and carpets nicely.

I have been meaning to post this, so good thing you asked. I have been in nursing for a long time and people have asked over and over how to cure this problem. First, loose the synthetics. They only get worse with each washing. Buy only 100% cotton. Secondly use arm and hammer laundry detergent and add in a good dollop of fabric softener. This will clean your clothes and make them smell fresh and odor free. I have tried a lot of things but this is the one that works for me.

Good luck!

I add vinegar to the washer. Oxyclean, put couple scoops in bucket or washer...add hot water if clothes can take it, otherwise warm.stir it up to dissolve. Add clothes and let soak overnight.empty water, wash regular. I use it on mattress also, dissolve oxy in water apply with brush.put towels over it and add weight. Let it absorb few hours, let dry. Smell always disappears. If all else fails, google Nok Out. Costs about $40 for a gal. Good luck!

I have used Borax for ages for this problem. 1/3 cup in the front loader along with regular detergent will remove all odors and most stains.

Try putting the clothes through a cold rinse before washing them. This removes stains and odors. Good luck!

Try Fresh-Wave. They have different products for deodorizing. Also a product to use in the washing machine to remove odors. Google Fresh-Wave to see where sold in your area.

Home and Garden Cleaning ClothingFebruary 16, 2011
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Couch with urine odors.
Removing Urine Odors from a Couch
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout