White T-shirts Turned Pink

My 2 teen sons recently bought some t-shirts. The shirts are white with colorful pictures of trucks, etc. on them. My problem is that when washing them something red got in with the shirts. Needless to say now we have 7 new "pink" shirts that the boys refuse to wear. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get them white again? I have tried washing them in clorox, peroxide, bluing & have even sprayed them & washed with resolve. Thanks for any ideas.

Betty from Ruckersville, VA

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Tori 22 54 10/21/2005

Use RIT Color Remover, following the directions on the box. You will find this product in the laundry aisle with the RIT dyes. It will remove the pink from those tee shirts!

truerblue in PA

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Krysi (Guest Post) 10/22/2005

That's going to be your best bet. Also you could try SuperClean. It's in the automotive aisle. It's what mechanics use to wash the oil/etc. from their clothes, and it really works AMAZINGLY. Just add a cup or two depending on how pink they are. You can use it on all your whites too (not baby clothes though, it will wash the fire retardant out). My ex was a mechanic, and that was 5 years ago.. I STILL use it on all my clothes! Way better than oxyclean.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By (Guest Post) 10/22/2005

Use the RIT color remover,

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By debbie (Guest Post) 10/22/2005

i would just over-dye them with a darker color (like red, dark green, navy, etc) that your kids DO like.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sandie (Guest Post) 10/23/2005

I don't know about getting them white again, but you could get some fabric dye and color them something other than pink!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Joanne (Guest Post) 10/26/2005

Place the pink T-shirts in a large tub of hot water. Boil a lemon in a couple of cups of water on the stove for a minute or two. Pour the boiled lemon and water into the tub of pink T-shirts and let them soak until the pink T-shirts are bright white again. The boiled lemon is like a bleach. Don't mix the lemon with regular bleach. It will make holes in the material

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Marilyn Norton (Guest Post) 10/29/2005

This happened to me. I read to use liquid (only) dishwasher detergent. I wet the material and submerged them into a container of 1/3 detergent to water. Agitate them and let soak only until the pink comes out. Worked great for me. Good Luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Kathryne (Guest Post) 01/07/2007

Apparently our washer is still seeping some pink tinge from the last time I dye some clothes purple, a couple of years ago. I have the HE type of washer, frontload. I've run the machine through several cycles with bleach to get rid of tinge, but some must still be in there, because I keep getting the whites with a pale pink tinge. I even tried bleaching my white leggings with the sun to see if that would help. When I brought them back in after a couple of weeks, they came back yellowish looking! I will give all the products mentioned a try, especially that SuperClean. Thanx!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Confused (Guest Post) 04/17/2008

My baby clothes do this. When he poops up his back I soaked his clothes in water then put in the washer the next day. Took them out and the sleeper was bright pink.
I have also seen this with some throw up shirts I've washed out then laundered? Don't know what causes it. He is mostly breast fed, but not always.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By jeny. (Guest Post) 08/25/2008

My favorite white shirt did that and now I don't know what to do.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Ham Fam Mom (Guest Post) 09/13/2008

Use 'all fabric bleach' from SA8. Mix with warm water and soak. Then wash with SA8 laundry detergent. Works every time. I know because my husband has done this three times! You can get SA8 laundry products at www.BrileyShops.com

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Grandma J 54 1,041 11/11/2009

Another poster referred to SA8, but they have a better product which is Trizyme. OK, but this is past being a protein issue, it is a dye issue.
Get the Rit Dye Remover. Same place as Rit Dye is. Toss it in, that many shirts, use 1 bottle or 2 boxes. Hot water. Let it fill, dump in Rit then clothes, let swish. Shut off for about 15 minutes, Check shirts to see how they are coming, then go back and restart washer to run cycle to agitate. Never had anything NOT come out this way.
FYI, those with new front loading washers cannot do this, they have to do it on the stove in a large kettle. Cannot do dyes in those washers.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Grandma J 54 1,041 12/11/2009

Just an FYI, SA8 & Trizyme are Amway products.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No