AdviceHealth & Beauty

Having Surgery Done for Sweaty Palms (Hyperhidrosis)

Does anyone know how much is the surgery for sweaty palms?

By Edward

Anonymous

It's going to depend on the area you live, the surgeon and the hospital. It truly would be best to start with the surgeon and then the hospital where the surgery would be done for the answers.

Have you tried natural remedies?

I have not heard of a surgery but botox injections can be given to temporarily stop sweat in a particular area.

Be careful of having this surgery. I had excessively sweaty palms as a teenager, but now at 61 this condition has been gone for most of my life. Mine was caused by the anxiety I was living with at the time. Anxiety drugs are cheaper and don't involve surgery. Please look at everything that could be a cause.

Check into a treatment called "Iontophoresis" first. Talk to your dermatologist. It seems to be known as a treatment for hyperhidrosis, but just not widely used in the US. Insurance comanies will generally cover it if you prove that you've tried the clinical strength antiperspirant, then the Rx Drysol, and if it's causing social problems (DUH!). After lots of research because my son's dermatologist & rheumatologist couldn't help, I found the treatment used w/ Physical Therapists for arthritis, etc. After doing their own research, I got a local PT to agree to try it. It worked! They used the kind w/ a patch & solution. We started 3x's per week & worked our way down eventually to 1x per week.

We finally found another version that submerges your hands/feet in tap water & uses the minerals in the water to ward off the sweating. We purchased this machine & it works better because it covers his entire hands/feet (the patch was only helping where the patch was placed). Since he'll be needing the treatment forever (or until hopefully he outgrows it, which is a possibility), we opted to save in the long run by purchasing the machine & doing treatments at home. Hope this helps others w/ this same problem. I was very sad to learn that there is just no information out there to help!