AdviceBudget & Finance

Will My Husband's Child Also Receive SSI?

My husband started getting an SSI check, will his child receive a check too?

By Stephanie

Why don't you ask the SS office? Surely they asked if he had a child when he applied. If you are not living with him and the child is yours and his child, call the SS office. If the child lives with someone else they will recieve the check.

Anonymous

From what I understand the application should be filed with the local Social Security office of and by the custodial parent. The 'child' is entitled no matter which parent is disabled and the money is for expenses of the child and must be accounted for on a regular basis.

Go to "SSA.gov. Most questions are answered there. The age of the child depends on whether he/she will receive a check. You can also call the 800# for Social Security. It will be in the phone book, blue pages.

I don't know about SSI, since we don't receive it. However, when hubby was getting SSDI (aka disability,) the children - including stepchildren - qualified to receive checks in their own names. Whoever has custody will have to account for how the child's money was spent. I remember helping him fill out the accountability form each year. The child's check will end at "majority," aka age 18, unless certain conditions apply. For example, if the child is over 18 and in college.

I strongly encourage you to talk to your local SSA office. If there's an office near you, walk-ins are welcome. You just choose the reason for your visit from the computerized check-in, and listen for your letter-number combination. You can also call the 800 number. Just be sure to have the SSA recipient's SS# and DOB handy to avoid delays.