Browsing: Making Candles

Candle Making Safety

Candle making is an OUTDOOR activity. Yep. Ask any fireman. If you heat wax on a stove, and kids or the phone sidetrack you, and the wax overheats or boils over, you might as well have a major firebomb go off in the kitchen.

The closed lid of a barbecue works fine, so does a cheap single element electric hot-plate, or an electric frying pan. With an electric frying pan you can even set the temperature. It is quite safe to put different cans with different colors of wax side by side onto the electric frying pan. Pyrex measuring pitchers are fine too.

For "all" candle making, except sand candles, use the lowest temperature at which all the wax melts. Otherwise it shrinks too much when it cools, and you wind up with air pockets and other problems.

Have FUN!
DearWebby
http://webby.com

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I second the notion that candlemaking is an outdoor activity. When I was twelve, I had some hippies (yes I am that old) show me how to make candles. I had the heat too high, and unknownest to me, putting water on wax isn't the ideal way to put out a fire. It blew like a volcano, I destroyed my mom's nylon curtains and blacked out the walls, etc. I almost burned down my mom's house.

Do indeed the candlemaking outside!!!

Never, never, never put wax directly on a heat source. Always use a double boiler! Here's some more safety tips.

http://www.crafterstouch.com/tip.aspx?tipid=1

Making Candles
Making Candles
Crafts Candle MakingDecember 20, 2004
Several jars filled with hot red wax.  Sticks with wicks attached lay across the top of each jar with one end of the wick in the wax
Making Homemade Candle Wicks
safety pin on purple background
Safety Pin and Bead Craft Projects
Jelly Jar Candles
Making Jelly Jar Candles
A woman wearing a bike helmet.
Teaching Bike Safety
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 10, 2016 at 3:06:03 AM on 10.0.1.45 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.