Candle Making Safety

Candle making is an OUTDOOR activity. Yep. Ask any fireman. If you heat wax on a stove, and kids or the phone sidetrack you, and the wax overheats or boils over, you might as well have a major firebomb go off in the kitchen.

The closed lid of a barbecue works fine, so does a cheap single element electric hot-plate, or an electric frying pan. With an electric frying pan you can even set the temperature. It is quite safe to put different cans with different colors of wax side by side onto the electric frying pan. Pyrex measuring pitchers are fine too.

For "all" candle making, except sand candles, use the lowest temperature at which all the wax melts. Otherwise it shrinks too much when it cools, and you wind up with air pockets and other problems.

Have FUN!
DearWebby
http://webby.com

I second the notion that candlemaking is an outdoor activity. When I was twelve, I had some hippies (yes I am that old) show me how to make candles. I had the heat too high, and unknownest to me, putting water on wax isn't the ideal way to put out a fire. It blew like a volcano, I destroyed my mom's nylon curtains and blacked out the walls, etc. I almost burned down my mom's house.

Do indeed the candlemaking outside!!!

Never, never, never put wax directly on a heat source. Always use a double boiler! Here's some more safety tips.

http://www.craf … tip.aspx?tipid=1