When to do First Oil Change in 2007 Civic

I bought a new 2007 Civic and my car friends, mostly male, tell me that I should change the motor oil after the 1st 500 miles to get rid of possible junk pieces. Honda says, no way, wait till you have 3000mi. The first oil is special and not be changed.

Any suggestions?

Heiko from Bremerton, WA

I worked in the auto industry for over 20 years and this topic came up often. Changing the oil at 500 miles won't hurt or help your car. As your manufacturer suggests, the first scheduled oil & filter change is due at 3000 miles or 3 months from the day you purchased it - whichever comes first. The purpose of the oil filter is to "filter" out any of those possible metal fragments your male friends are talking about. With the advanced manufacturing processing today, it is highly, highly unlikely that there would be any fragments that would damage your engine. And even if that would happen, since your manufacturer recommends the first service at 3000 miles, the auto maker would cover any repairs under your warranty since this would be a failure of a component. I hope this answers your question. And tell your guy friends that this is signed, "A Car GIRL" lol

Listen to Honda! They made the car and know more about it than any of your friends. Good luck and God bless you!

Do what Honda says.

Then change the oil every 2,000 miles if you want to keep your car running well for many years.

I like the won't help/hurt. Me, Honda gets the nod, but a more specific item may be the filter. Chances are the oil, "special" or not, will last the 3K, any junk, metal particles, etc will be grabbed by the filter. Re-run the ??? about the filter, the ans. again may be worry about how you break the engine in over the oil change. Drive careful. Congrats on the new car!

Read your book that came with the car.

Quart of Oil, Rag and Funnel
Saving Money on Oil Changes
Consumer Advice Cars MaintenanceSeptember 30, 2007
Storing Olive Oil
Storing Olive Oil
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway