Sugar-free Easter Dinner Dessert

I need a great sugar-free dessert to take to Easter dinner!

Linda L. from Vista, CA

I made a Red, White & Blue desert for July 4th back in the 80's that might work for you. It was made from fresh or frozen, unsweetened Blueberries & Strawberries with a layer of Sugar-free Vanilla Yogurt in between. This was served in a glass bowl in 3 layers. I separately heated up the frozen blueberries & frozen strawberries with a bit of water or juice & while the liquid was cold I added a bit of either unflavored gelatin or cornstarch then brought the whole thing to a boil. This thickened the fruit & juice. If you want it sweeter, you can add a bit of Splenda as it cools down. (Not while it's hot!). Before everything cools down layer each in a glass bowl or in individual parfait glasses. Let this it in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight to set up & "gel".

* I made this desert with no recipe, it was very easy & my daughter still talks about how great that desert was, even though that was 19 years ago! This stuff is not only YUMMY, it's also good for you! Of course, you could use any fruit or berries you'd like, even Apples, or Peaches with cinnamon. You can't go wrong with fresh or frozen fruit!

Go to www.jello.com and there are many pretty (and tasty) alternatives.

One of my favorites there is called "ambrosia mold"; but it is not s/f. You could use s/f jello and lite cool whip; but it still has marshmallows in it (not many; you might be able to leave them out).

Of course, my younger daughter would remind me that jello is not vegetarian friendly....but you can't please everyone!

A fresh fruit plate is guilt-free and refreshing, especially after a filling Easter buffet. Think strawberries !

My dad was a diabetic and I made him sugar-free desserts. Here's a few:

STRAWBERRY SURPRIZE CUPCAKES

1 box sugar-free white cake mix

2 whole strawberries per cupcake

1 box sugar-free white icing

Follow directions on box for making cupcakes. Put 1 strawberry in each muffin cup. Pour batter over strawberry. Bake according to directions. When cool,ice. Put a strawberry on top.

PUFF PASTRY FRUIT CREAMS

1 box puff pastry cups, regular or mini

sugar-free vanilla pudding

fresh strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries

sugar-free chocolate icing

Prepare pastry cups according to directions.

Put some pudding in each pastry cup. Add fruit. Make about 1/4 of the icing, add a little more water to thin it slightly. Drizzle icing over fruit.

PUDDING PILE UP

sugar-free chocolate chip cookies

sugar-free chocolate pudding

sugar-free whipped topping

chopped walnuts

Put a layer of cookies in a baking dish. Top with pudding. Repeat this. Cover with topping. Sprinkle with nuts. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

FRUIT COCKTAIL CAKE

1 box sugar-free lemon cake mix

1 small can fruit cocktail in water, do not drain

1 box sugar-free white icing

chopped pecans

Add fruit cocktail, including liquid, to cake mix. This is all, don't add other ingredients listed on box. Bake according to package directions. Make icing according to directions. Spread over cooled cake and sprinkle with nuts.

PEACH FLOP

1 small can sliced peaches in water, reserve liquid

sugar-free honey

chopped walnuts

1 box sugar-free spice cake mix

Place peaches in a baking dish. Drizzle with honey then sprinkle with nuts. Prepare mix according to directions, substituting peach liquid for water. Pour batter over peaches. Bake according to directions. Serve with sugar-free vanilla ice cream. Variations: blueberries with lemon cake mix, strawberries with white or chocolate cake mix.

I didn't give specific measurements because I don't know how many servings you need. All of these recipes can be easily expanded. Keep in mind, sugar-free cake mixes and icings make half as much as regular. Hope you have a Happy Easter!

I didn't realize until I was in Walmart today how readily available the pre-baked sugar-free angelfood cakes are. Start with one of those, slice through it horizontally, so that you have 3 (ring-shaped) layers. On the bottom layer, put sugar free pudding and fresh fruit; add another cake layer and repeat, ending with cake. Garnish with sugar-free whipped topping and fruit.

Or, if you have a trifle dish, layer cubes of cake with s/f pudding mixed with regular or low fat sour cream, and fruit that has been crushed lightly to juice it. Looks fancy, but is so easy.

Food and Recipes Recipes Holidays EasterMarch 8, 2008
Easter Centerpiece
Easter Centerpiece Ideas
Sugar Snap Peas
Freezing Snow Peas (Sugar, Chinese, or Sugar Snap Peas)
Easter Chicken Craft
Easter Craft Ideas
Freshly baked white dinner rolls.
Saving Money on Dinner Rolls
🎄
🍂