Cat Pee Stains on Carpet

How do I get cat urine out of my carpet?

By vettechgirl2009

Fabreeze or the dollar store equivalent.

To clean your area: Blot up mess with paper towel then Saturate the area with a product called "OUT!" ($4.79 at Walmart) or another "Enzyme" pet cleaning product. Then leave the Enzyme pet cleaner on overnight then blot it up. Next you can pour Hydrogen Peroxide on the area. Peroxide cleans with oxygen. And, lastly you can use a half white vinegar & half water solution. If you use one or ALL of the above, your cat-pee smell will go away. My favorite number one thing to clean up ANY pet mess (hairballs, blood, pee & poop) is OUT!. I like the light Vanilla scent it leaves behind, not like the other brands that have a strong floral scent. I sprayed a bit of the OUT! on a nasty hairball mess, then left it to sit for about 45 min, then came back to finish cleaning it up & the mess was TOTALLY gone! What a surprise THAT was! ... If the mess is on the carpeting, be sure to spray enough so it soaks way down in the carpet's padding!

For complete directions how to remove all traces of pet odors from carpeting. Read my post here:

A side note: NEVER use Ammonia to clean up Cat or Dog urine! Because Cats & Dogs will be attracted right back to that same spot to go again, since all urine is so strong in ammonia, this "fools the pets nose" & they thing the ammonia is pee. (which attracts them!)

This sounds crazy but this is what you will need:

1-2 bottles of peroxide, powdered dishwasher soap, (I used sun with oxygen bubbles but any would probably work), a scrub brush, towel and VERY hot water.

First pour the peroxide on the stain. Soak it up as good as you can. Then mix some water and dishwasher soap together (try to dissolve the soap) but make sure you use enough soap. Pour that on and scrub A LOT, soak that up. Then pour just plain water on there and soak that up.

I did this on our foot stool that opens up, (I took the top off) and the smell is gone and we haven't had any problems since. I did this 2 times just to make sure it was gone. DO NOT USE FEBREEZE! It makes it worse! We also got some stuff from the pet store that was suppose to get the smell out but it didn't. This is the only thing that I found that works, and it's not that expensive.

Wow, I had a couple of serious carpet stains from my cat who went on temporary mutiny from using her litter box (and I did not discover the extent of it right away). Following the first tip, I bought a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and dumped it on the stained area and let it sit over night. I kept my fingers crossed that it would not discolor my carpet which is light gray. The next day I blotted and blotted with rags, and let it dry out, which took a couple of days (I used an entire bottle). Voila! These two large, tough stains that I'd tried to many things on were gone! I did not even have to follow the next dish soap step.

Thank you so much for this tip! Once again, saves the day.

April 14, 2009 Flag

How to get rid of cat urine in carpet?

Jessica from Michigan

Cat Pee Stains on Carpet

Can you tell us the proportions of Ammonia, Water, & Dawn? How much of each to make what amount? (09/13/2007)

By kidsNclutter

Cat Pee Stains on Carpet

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I've had fantastic luck with Woolite's new little carpet cleaner that's like a little ball. It has a sponge and little plastic things on it for scrubbing. You can't refill it, but I've purchased more cleaner in a spray bottle and use the scrubber with that. It has removed even old stains from my carpets.

By Carol in PA

Cat Pee Stains on Carpet

Just saturate the spot in plain white vinegar and let it dry. This will act as a disinfectant and neutralize the odor, your cat should not "visit" the same spot again. If the vinegar doesn't work (it always has for me), there are commercial products at big box pet stores like Petsmart and Petco you can get Natures Miracle, same directions, just saturate and let dry on its own. And at smaller boutique type stores you can find a great product called Anti-Icky Poo or something like that, works the same way, they are enzymatic cleaners and will remove the odor so that even your cat doesn't know he peed there.

Also, make sure your cat has clean litter (clumping works the best, a lot of cats don't like pellets and crystals and clay is not clean), enough boxes (sometimes two per cat is needed) and that they don't have any health problems, inappropriate elimination is often the only symptom of other problems that need to be addressed by the vet. If the cat is not neutered, get that done and marking should subside as the hormones leave their system. Good luck!

By Lindsey

September 11, 2007 Flag

How do you get cat urine out of your carpet?

Tricia from Lima, Ohio

Cat Pee Stain on Carpet

I just read this hint, but have not tried it. Blot up the moisture and rub the spot with a solution of lemon juice or vinegar and warm sudsy water. Then pour club soda on the area and blot with a towel until dry. Finally, use a cloth dampened in ammonia. Not only will this take away any odor, but it will also keep your pet from returning to the scene of the crime. (11/28/2006)

By Egerb

Cat Pee Stain on Carpet

We used this method and it worked! First thing is to shampoo the carpet with 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water. Wait 24 hours or until carpet is dry, but at least 24 hours. Then sprinkle baking soda and put straight peroxide in a bottle and spray the carpet until wet and use a broom to move it around the carpet. We used 1 gallon of peroxide per room (we had two rooms), used about 2-3 lbs. of baking soda per room. Wait till dry. Smell was gone the next day!!! Then we did this to the second room and it worked again!!! Then after the carpet is dry from the peroxide, vacuum the room. When we vacuumed each room, we had to put new bags in vacuum two times. It was filled with baking soda.

By Judy in NV

Cat Pee Stain on Carpet

I grew up with my mother using this one solution to clean anything out of the carpet. We have a cat that is now an outside cat (He comes in when he likes) but when he was an inside cat, we had a HUGE problem with him 'marking his territory' everywhere. We've used a mixture of ammonia, hot water, and Dawn for years for many things. We used it on this as well and we never had a problem with the stain or smell remaining. Ammonia scares a lot of people, but it's never discolored our carpet, and the only stain we've found that it won't get completely out so far, is red Kool-aid! (11/29/2006)

By MidgetOnTheEdge

Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetApril 14, 2009
cat on carpet
Removing Cat Pee and Odor from Carpet
grease stain on carpet
Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
Cleaning Carpet
Removing Vomit Stains from Carpet
Jug of used motor oil.
Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet