Alternative Adult Incontinence Pads

I have a friend with incontinence that has a sensitivity to the chemical in adult incontinence pads and underwear (same result with different brands). I suggested we figure out how to make a layering of diaper material as a sanitary napkin, but need suggestions. Or how to keep the chemical off her, while still using the commercial pads.

She tried plastic panty covers, but they dripped and became uncomfortably hot.
I appreciate any help you can give me to solve this perplexing situation. Thanks for your time and creative suggestions!

Holly from Richardson, TX

Of course it would depend on how bad of a problem she has but couldn't she use menstral pads. There are several varieties and some Im sure are made more safe then others? Just a thought? Good luck.

Hi, My mother-in-law has this problem. She discovered that if she switches brands of pads every day, she can use them. Example: Monday: Poise, Tuesday: Serenity, Wed: Poise, etc. I hope this helps. Loretta

How bad is it? Menstrual pads should work - how about just large baby diapers? The old-fashioned kind, with a panty outside - even a nylon one - the whole thing doesn't have to be plastic...you could rig something up with safety pins and some plastic, too...remember the old days of menstrual pads?

When my sister was a baby, my mother used terry cloth diapers and a diaper liner that was made from pure wool. It was a rectangle shaped liner, and not only did it draw the moisture away from the skin, the lanolin in the wool kept my sisters little bottom blemish free until she was toilet trained. I dont know who made them, they were completely washable and I am sure they would work lining an adult diaper. Try Googling diaper liner and see what comes up. Good luck & God Bless.

Hi again, I just located a website called

diaperingdecisions.com

They have a product called STAY DRY LINERS I think this will be a great help to your friend in their your current situation

They are a completely washable that would keep a persons sensetive skin away from diaper chemicals.

Are you absolutely certain it isn't heat rash from all the moisture TX has been having? I'd suggest dusting with baking soda like talcum prior to putting them on. Then, change them more often, like once an hour, which is expensive, but so is the altrenative.

Also, ask the doctor if she could have a difficiency

in some chemical her body needs, which might cause

the incontinance? The pads aren't supposed to have any chemicals at all, especially if unperfumed. I'd

also consider that her bath soap is too strong or that

she's washing too often and not drying totally, creating the moisture for fungus growth beneath the plastic panties. I

suggest that whomever changes her, that you use the mildest soap, like Ivory, very sparsely, then rinsing very well, AND actually using the blow dryer to make certain that she's good and dry before putting on new pants. It may be a lot of trouble, but she

will benefit and perhaps be able to do this for herself? Just making certain that harsh soaps of any kind aren't used into her private areas except when she bathes. Otherwise, just lightly wash the area and

blow dry. Then around the panty lline dust with the

baking soda to help neutralize the acid in the urine

that might puddle there for a moment. Consider her

fluids, also. Is she drinking too much coffee/tea/soda or fruit juice? This can create an acidic condition. Also, ask the doctor if there's any reason she cannot have a single Acidolphylus capsule each day, in case it is a systemic yeast infection? This takes care of any mild case of it in only a few days use. Yeast is a culprit and can come out in any part of our body, not just the female privates.She needs a good diet of mostly vegetables, little sugar/acid/starches. I doubt that it's the panty liners themselves. Good luck and may God grant you His wisdom. : )

hi. i have actually purchased reusable sanitary pads from vermont country store. i get the catologue but they have a website too. there are also reusable underpads but not sure where to get them.