How Do I Get Rid of Scale Insects on House Plants?

I have "scale" on my spider-plant that came from an aloe plant. I have been hand picking the ones that I find from the shrimp plant. Those 3 are the only plants they seem to really like. What can I do to get rid of them? Thanks for your help.

By Judy from MO

I have never had any luck with plants once they get scale. You have to pick off any scale and sometimes it can go down into the soil so he have to keep after it and soak it each time with soap and water. Eventually it seems to come back for me. Maybe someone else has a better solution.

Years ago, I read in a plant care book, to dab the scale with a q-tip dipped in alcohol. I believe I did use the alcohol successfully on one of my plants.

There are also systemic treatments which will kill these types of invasions, but I would not use them if you have small children or pets in your home. The systemic puts a poison in the veins of the plants.

Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsFebruary 13, 2011
bug spray
Identifying Flying Insects
Lady Bug on a Green Leaf
Identifying Beneficial Garden Insects
Homemade Postage Scale
Making a Homemade Postage Scale
Two earwigs on a yellow flower.
Getting Rid of Earwigs
🎉
🎄