Uses for a Vintage Encyclopedia Set

What can I do with a complete 10 volume set of Compton's Picture Encyclopedias copyrighted 1927. The set is hard covered and in fair condition.

By Joseph from San Diego, CA

You can try donating them to the Good Will or Salvation Army. Or if you are creative try making several lamps out of them. Here's the website: http://www.ehow.com/how_2252195_make-book-lamp.html

...and if all else fails, you can give them to a kid who really wants to learn.

When I went to school and when my own children attended elementary school, we had to make booklets and do reports on various countries. The pictures in National Geographic magazines helped my children (and me) to get all "A's" in our work.

I kept many of those booklets and reports with illustrations (pictures) for many years, and just last year gave them all up to each child to do with as they pleased. Lots of hard work went into those items, and I hope they'll keep them to look over once in a while.

Those old encyclopedias would have been a Godsend to any one of us. Sure they'd have gotten destroyed by cutting them up back then, but today's kids have access to scanners and printers. But, they also have access to all the information as well as pictures on the Internet too, so maybe an end table or a foot stool, a child's booster seat or an "Altered Book" are the best uses for them.

I just love books, and it always hurts me to see them tossed, torn up or otherwise destroyed. I don't think anyone is going to want those great old books. I couldn't find anyone who wanted my 1962 Deluxe Edition of the full set of World Book encyclopedias. It just seems a shame though.

An interesting corner we Americans have painted ourselves into.

Pookarina

There are collectors for nostalgia items like this! Spend some time Googling phrases like "1927 Compton's Picture Encyclopedias" or "Nostalgia encyclopedia Sets" etc. Something will show up and you will easily come up with other ideas to check out. Good luck and let us know what you find out :-) Oh, and don't forget asking local antique and nostalgia stores what they think!

Glue the pages together and stack the books flat in a pile (binding edge out ). Add some more old books that can easily be found cheap in thrift stores to the stack-fasten together with a strong craft glue and use the pile as an end table or night stand plant stand, etc.

The Goodwill and Salvation Army in our area will not take encyclopedias (they throw them in the recycle bin).

But I loved these encyclopedias cause they were unusual and art oriented. Scan some of the pictures and stories! Sell the books on ebay. Just don't throw them in the recycle bin.

Consumer Advice Collectibles BooksSeptember 9, 2010
Stack of very old encyclopedias.
Finding the Value of Old Encyclopedia Sets
Vintage Baby Photo
Cleaning Vintage Baby Clothes
Encyclopedia Britannica Encyclopedias
Finding the Value of Encyclopedia Britannica Encyclopedias
Making Fudge
Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set
🎉
🎄