Making Mulberry Jam

I have many Mulberry trees that are almost ready to pick. I would like to make jam with them this year. Do I need to take out all the little stems when making cooked jam or will they cook up soft in the processing? Thanks for any advice or recipes for Mulberries that come this way!

Karaof4 from MN

Best Answer

If you like the pulp, a colander works well it will remove the stems after cooking.

I have never made mulberry jam, but I have made mulberry jelly. I would definitely remove the stems. Since I could not find an actual recipe for mulberry jelly I used the recipe for blackberry jelly that was in the box of liquid pectin (Certo). It tasted fine but didn't "jell" as much as I thought it should. I called the 800 number that was on the box and the girl I spoke to said that the recipe should have worked. But if the pectin was outdated that could possibly happen. It should not have been out dated since I bought it specifically for that batch of jelly. Anyway, she told me to go through the whole cooking process again, minus the sugar, but adding more pectin. I thought that was a bit too much trouble so instead of jelly for our toast we had delicious mulberry syrup for our pancakes!! Some time later I was talking to an older lady acquaintance of ours and she said that another reason that it maybe didn't jell was that I used only ripe berries and that I should have also put in 10-20 percent of the red berries as well. I hope this helps.

My grandparents used to have this huge mulberry tree that had the biggest, plumpest mulberries that I'd ever seen. When I was young, I'd climb that tree and sit in it for hours eating mulberries. The house I live in now has a tree in the backyard, but the birds are the main recipients of its berries. My neighbor used to put them in pancakes (like blueberries) and eat them in cereal too. I never heard of making mulberry jam or jelly, but think it would taste really good. I agree with Margaret, if the first batch turns out too runny, use it for syrup and adjust the recipe when you make the second batch. Sometime life is a learning process. I've always wondered what these would taste like in a pie, or if you should mix them with other berries?

I believe the problem could also be mulberries not being as acidy as other berries. The recipe I have calls for lemon jiuce, 1/2 cup per batch. I may want to try that next time.

Ever tried Mulberry sponge - make like any upsidedown cake - just top with a sponge cake mix of your choice (I usually use Fielders cornflour sponge recipe). Wash and stem Mulberried, sprinke with sugar to yiour choice, cover with sponge and bake for abt 15 min. Serve with cream & icecreamwhen cold. Also thin mulberry jelly is yummy on icecream.