Susan St. James Recipes

Many years ago when Phil Donohue was still on tv, he had Susan St. James on his show. She made some recipes that I used to make and my family loved, but I cannot for the life of me remember all the ingredients or how to put them all together.

The first one was a recipe for a barley casserole that had barley, fresh veggies, some kind of cheese (I think Swiss or Mozzarella) and liquid of some sort, and it was baked.

The second one had noodles, onions, tomato soup,corn, and some kind of meat (either chicken or ground beef) and it was baked also.

If you know these recipes, please post them! I would love to make these again.

Thanks and God bless,

mamajerry from Akron, Ohio

I would suggest the following link:

Could this be the one you want?

Cheesy Baked Barley

2 cups water

1/2 cup medium pearled barley

1/2 teaspoon salt, divided

Nonstick cooking spray

1/2 cup diced onion

1/2 cup diced zucchini

1/2 cup diced red bell pepper

1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour

Seasoned pepper

3/4 cup milk

1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Italian blend cheese, divided

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

Bring water to a boil in 1-quart saucepan. Add barley and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes or until barley is tender and most of the water has evaporated. Let stand covered, 5 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray medium skillet with cooking spray. Cook onion, zucchini and bell pepper over medium-low heat about 10 minutes or until soft. Stir in flour, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and seasoned pepper to taste; cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add milk, stirring constantly; cook and stir until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and add barley, 3/4 cup cheese and mustard; stir until cheese is melted.

Spread in even layer in casserole. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake 20 minutes or until hot. Preheat broiler. Broil casserole 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.

"Could this be the one you want?

Cheesy Baked Barley"

Thanks for the recipe, Turptoo. Although it isn't the one I'm looking for, it sounds really good, so I'm going to have to make this!!!!!

Thanks for the site FFL. I went there, and even though they didn't have the recipes I'm looking for, they were good ones!!!

The recipe for susan st. james barley casserole is:

1 cup pearl barley

31/2 cups water

2 t. veg. oil

1 onion diced

4-5 carrots sliced

4-5 tomatoes chopped

1 bell pepper diced

1/2 to 3/4 t. oregano

Salt to to your taste

Bake in covered casserole dish at 350 for one hour. stir after 45 min. add grated cheddar cheese when serving.

This dish goes great with her fire & ice salad & toasty French bread

Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceSeptember 18, 2006
Lazy Susan
Using a Lazy Susan
Growing Black-Eyed Susan
Growing Black-Eyed Susan
Raspberry Bar Cookies
Bar Cookie Recipes
Lazy Susan with Marbles Teaser
Making a Lazy Susan with Marbles