Cat with Itchy Ears - Categories:

CatsPets

Cat with Itchy Ears

I have a six year old "tuxedo" cat named Albert, who has an itchy ear problem. I tried the parasite meds and I don't see anything in there. Does the vinegar work for cats too? He weighs about 10 pounds.

Kathy from Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I wouldn't put vinegar in his ears. You can't see ear mites with the naked eye. You can often see mite feces but not always. By parasite med. I'm assuming you mean mite med....right? ?What kind and how long did you treat the cat? Go to your vet and ask for ear mite med. Don't ask what makes the cats ears itch unless you want to make an appointment. Veterinary personal are instructed to NOT make a diagnosis but can recommend an over the counter med when you ask for a specific product. This is sort of like asking the pharmacy what is making your head hurt instead of asking for a good headache med. You need to treat every day for 3 weeks. A hit and miss treatment isn't going to do it.

Yeah, I agree with "Glenn'sMom" hehe, the one cat in this house has ear-mites, too, the feces is visible though, I actually gave him some drops for it.

I have "Ear Mite Treatment" (for cats and dogs) by the company, "Gimborn" if that helps at all. I just put a few drops in each ear and massage it in gently and check back in a day or two for any improvements.

We did the mite med for two weeks as recommended by the vet assistant. Maybe it's time to take him in. Thanks for your help!

If he has ear mites you can order through several places on line for ear mite medicine. Dr Fosters and Smith is a good site to start on. I think I would take him to the vet first and have him checked out tho.

I had a cocker with the same problem and was constantly having to rinse her ears out and then put mediine in them. Good luck to you .

If it turns out not to be ear mites, I have a cat whose ears I clean out periodically with a little mineral oil. Out of six, the only one who seems to get 'gunk' in her ears & it definitely irritates her. I just put a little on a cotton swap & gently get off what I can where I can see. Years ago, my vet suggested it for a dog with a similar problem & it's worked great!

I would be cautious about putting vinegar in a cat's ear without knowing what is really going on as there are many ear problems that a cat may have that vinegar could irritate. While more costly, a vet check would be in order to rule out an infection, and or yeast. Your cat will thank you.

Take kitty to the vet.

Take Albert to the vet. Years ago I noticed one of my cats shaking her head and scratching at her ears. I assumed it was ear mites, but when I took her to the vet they discovered a yeast infection. They washed out her ears and sent me home with some follow-up treatment and the problem never came back. For your cat's sake, don't try to self-diagnose the problem.

Pets CatsDecember 31, 2008
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
A woman with itchy ears.
Remedies for Itchy Ears
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
Making Felt Kitty Ears
Making Felt Kitty Ears
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 23, 2016 at 9:09:09 PM on 10.0.2.136 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.