McDonald's Big Mac Special Sauce (Copycat)

My 3 daughters always wanted to go to McDonald's following their skating classes, and we did that for as long as they were young. Then when they had their own money to spend, they decided they'd rather eat at home and save their money to buy pretty clothes. That didn't stop them from wanting a McDonald's Big Mac though, so we experimented until we came up with a reasonable facsimile. They were happy and I was very happy as I was able to better control the amount of fat they put into the bodies as well as leaving out all those preservatives.

• 1 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise (or your favorite mayo)
  • 4 rounded Tbsp. French Dressing (we used Kraft's Catalina)
  • 1/4 cup good sweet pickle relish
  • 1/4 cup minced onion
  • 2 tsp. white vinegar
  • 3 tsp. sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt

Directions:

Just mix everything together and keep in a wide-mouthed canning jar in the refrigerator. If you make it at least 24 hours ahead of time, the flavors will have time to "marry".

Serve it on hamburgers or cheeseburgers with shredded lettuce and a few dill pickle chips. Close your eyes and pretend you are a kid again.

Servings: 6-8

Time: 20 Minutes

Source: My 3 daughters and I came up with this about 35 years ago.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

Anonymous

You're a woman after my own heart! Big Macs are the only fast food burgers I eat as an occasional treat but I would far rather make them at home! Have you ever seen the movie Fried Green Tomatoes? Okay, if you have you'll see my weird sense of humor showing here. There's a line in the movie that cracks me up, "The secret's in the sauce!" LOL! Thanks for the recipe and Hellman's is the only mayo brand I'll purchase! Thumbs up from me! :-)

Kraft Sandwich Spread in a jar is a good substitute also. Find it near the mayonnaise in the store.

I am in absolute agreement with Deeli. I have actually dreamed about McDonald's Big Macs when I'm dieting. I can live without the French fries and all the other good stuff, but I put my foot down when it comes to giving up everything. I want to enjoy at least part of this life we're given. Being able to control the meat is going to be a big thing, I think, since "the secret is in the sauce", as Deeli mentioned, so I'll be making Big Macs at home now. I don't have to spoon on a lot of sauce, but there is something about the flavor of that special sauce that just suits me fine.

Julia, I know you're an excellent cook for I've tried many of your recipes and loved them all. I'm hoping that you've given me another perfect example of your knowledge and creativity. Thank you so much.

Lee

And a thumbs up from me too Julia. I dislike admitting it, but I am a fast food junkie simply because of the time element. I grew up always in a hurry, and fast food was part of our lives. Big Macs were always my favorite. I have a bit more time now, and like to think I'm eating better. I will give this recipe a good try, and if it's close enough to McDonald's special sauce that I love, I will be so happy. I'll sure let you know.

Thank you for sharing.

ww