How Can I Tell If My Eggs are Part of the Recent Recall?

I have just purchased three dozen Egg-lands Best large eggs. Given the recent, nationwide egg recall, how do I interpret the numbers and letters on the end of the carton to see if these are safe? What is a Julian date and where would I find that? Thank you.

Joanna

You can go to google.com and type in "egg recall numbers" or other words to that effect and get all the information you need. (CBS) Now that the already massive egg recall has grown from 228 million to 380 million eggs due to the largest salmonella scare we've seen in years, consumers are wondering which eggs are safe.

Three new brands have been added to the long list of eggs to check for possible contamination:

James Farms

Glenview

Pacific Coast

Below you'll find the complete list of eggs which may be infected with salmonella. They are all produced in Galt, Iowa by Wright County Egg, but they are sold in grocery stories under many different brands.

PICTURES: 9 Signs of Salmonella Poisoning

But even as you check your fridge, think about what you order in restaurants.

Raw egg can be found in sauces and condiments, including Hollandaise sauce and Caesar salad dressing, as well as eggnog, milkshakes and smoothies. Raw egg can also lurk in homemade mayo and icecream, according to WebMD.

Now check your fridge. Here's a full list of brands, all produced by Wright Country Egg, to examine.

BRAND NAMES:

Albertsons

Boomsma's

Dutch Farms

Farm Fresh

Hillandale

Kemps

Lucerne

Lund

Mountain Dairy

Ralph's

Shoreland

Sunshine

Trafficanda

James Farms

Glenview

Pacific Coast

If you have a suspect brand, check the dates and codes stamped on the end of the carton.

The plant numbers affected have broadened. They used to be P-1026, P-1413, and P-1946. Now they include P-1720 and P-1942. The three digit code that follows the plant number were originally said to range from 136 to 225, according to a statement by the Egg Safety Center. Now you must look for codes that range from 136 to 229.

For example, eggs in a carton marked with the number P-1026 227 should not be eaten. Consumers who have suspicious eggs can get a refund if they return them in their original carton to the store where they were bought

As long as you cook them until they are no longer runny there isn't a problem. So, don't throw your eggs away, just make sure they are thoroughly cooked and you will be fine.

None of the eggs reached New England if you live there. Doctors on TV said throw the eggs away of you bought any. Do not touch them just dispose of the carton.

Even if consumers have already checked their eggs based on the original egg recall list, officials at Wright County Egg suggest looking again. One end of each egg carton is stamped with a number starting with a P (which stands for plant). If the number on your carton is P1720 or P1942, look carefully at the three-digit number that typically follows it.

If that number falls within the range of 136 to 229, the eggs are part of the recall. (The numbers represent dates: The 136th day of the year was May 16; the 229th was Aug. 17.)

If you're still worried please don't just throw them away! Call the manager at the store you purchased them from and even if your eggs are not on the list I am fairly certain the manager will allow you to exchange them. Eggs I bought about two weeks ago didn't have any of those numbers but I was still scared because they were bought before August 17th and I am immune deficient and could not possibly fight off Salmonella. The news channels were talking about even more possible warning expansions yesterday morning because of grain those original farms sell to farms all over the country. The manager of my Safeway didn't have a single problem allowing me to return them for safety sake which put my mind to rest.

The US Food & Drug Administration has a really comprehensive page on this, with pics on what to look for on your cartons and a complete list of farms/distributors on the recall:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/NewsEvents/WhatsNewinFood/ucm223536.htm

Consumer Advice Product Recalls FoodAugust 20, 2010
curbside trash can
Tricks to Tell When the Trash Has Been Picked Up
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows
Geisha Girl with White Border on Sides
Making a Geisha Costume
🎄
🍂