30th Birthday Party Theme Ideas

A 30th birthday is one of those milestone events. Planning a memorable party includes choosing a theme. This is a guide about 30th birthday party theme ideas.

March 22, 2010 Flag

My son's 30th birthday is in April. He played college football and coaches track and field now. I am looking for party ideas.

By Katy from Auburn, ME

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Mine was a few years ago and it was a blast. We had a John Hughes theme party, with everyone dressing up as characters from the different movies. Of course, the whole night had an 80's theme to go with it. We had 1980's trivia (thank you trivial pursuit), with timely music blaring from old boom boxes and movies playing in the background. I was the donger and my bf was Jake Ryan. We had several benders and ionas, and even a John Candy security guard from vacation. Probably the best costume party I've ever had! Since the costumes are relatively easy, everyone was excited to come up with something. Now they ask me to throw a theme party for my birthday every year.

Some other things I've done since:

Mafia madness (mobsters and dolls from any era)

Fingerpainting (yes, for adults. it's hilarious!)

Miniature sports (go-karts, mini golfing, foosball)

September 3, 2007 Flag

I need help! I would like to plan my husband a 30th birthday surprise party. I have never done anything like this. Can anyone help? He likes playing computer games (shooting, role playing, strategy), football and anything sci-fi (Star Wars, Stargate, etc.)
Thanks!

Maria

Best Answer

It sounds like your hubby and my fiance would get along great! How about a cake shaped like a video game controller? Maybe a rectangular or square cake that looks like a Nintendo DS or other handheld game, or one that looks like an Xbox or Playstation controller - it would be a lot more complicated to make, though. Asking everyone to dress up as a character from Star Wars (or his favorite movie/tv show) would be fun, also. Good luck!

March 22, 2010 Flag

I am throwing my husband a surprise 30th birthday party. I need suggestions on a theme. Casino Night, football theme, his favorite movie, what should it be? He's into cars, Raiders, boat/jet skis. For a living, he's a telecom engineer. Any advice?

Angelina from Castro Valley, CA

Answers:

30th Birthday Party Theme Ideas

I'm throwing my girlfriend a Dirty 30 surprise birthday bash. We are having it at a local bar and I got a band that will sing her favorite songs. For the dirty 30 party we are getting her a boobie cake and lots of gag gifts. For favors we are doing feathered boas and beads. For the decorations we went with the regular "Oh no the big 3-0" decorations. Then we customized things for the dirty part.

This is a great idea. (07/12/2007)

By Heather

30th Birthday Party Theme Ideas

I did the Mexican thing for my husband, too. I had his "party" at a Mexican restaurant, that had Mariachis there. I also had a cake made with a Chubby Mariachi drawn on there that said, !Adelante con 30! Onward with 30! It was a fun cake idea. Everybody loved the cake and the real Mariachis thought the cake was a hit. Good luck. (07/12/2007)

By Andjerm

30th Birthday Party Theme Ideas

I'm in the same boat, but you might like these ideas. How about gifts specifically focused to his hobbies? A "boat" party with corresponding decorations? The invitations ask guests to bring a gift relating to boats. Print the invites in the shape of a boat or a life vest. Include a list of boat items as potential gift ideas. Not everyone knows what goes with a boat.

If you go with a jet ski theme hold the party at a lake. "Bob is skiing into the turbulent water of the 30s! Help us celebrate at Lake Woebegone!" Bonfire, cookout, there's lots of possibilities. How about combing the two? Boats and jetskis? Rent some extra skis, have people sign waivers and have an ironclad "alcohol/NO drive" ski rule.

For entertainment I bought a variety of karaoke tapes, oldies, country, Motown, about 5 altogether and the idea is to involve everyone. You sing a special "love" song to your husband. If you're going to use this idea you need to write a list of all the songs so guests can choose which one they like (make several copies) and the words in large font should be available as well. This can actually be a lot of fun. No volunteers? Blind fold a guest and have them pick contestants at random. There's some good ideas from different people. Have fun. (07/25/2007)

By Sheila

30th Birthday Party Theme Ideas

My husband turned 40 last year, only his birthday is right around Christmas, so in December I threw him a Surprise 39 3/4 Roast. At first the comments were slow and coming, then I had people tripping over themselves to be the next to stand up and "Roast" my husband. This went on for over 2 hours. It was a blast. (07/26/2007)

By Deb

30th Birthday Party Theme Ideas

When brother and his wife both turned 30, we threw them a Hogs and Heffers party because they recently bought Harleys. Everyone had to come dressed in Harley Davidson gear or something close to it. It was a lot of fun getting dressed as something different than your average themed parties. (08/21/2007)

By Joanne

30th Birthday Party Theme Ideas

I've had a couple of great themed parties. They both worked really well.
A children's birthday party for big kids was great fun. We all dressed as our favourite children's character and played games that we hadn't done since childhood, pass the parcel, musical statues, etc. and instead of plain jello and ice-cream try making the jello with flavoured vodka.

The other great success was my superhero theme. My husband doesn't "do" fancy dress so he came as Clark Kent turning into Superman. All he needed was a Superman t-shirt, his shirt pulled open, glasses and his hair slicked down. It was a great look.
Have fun whatever you decide. (09/21/2007)

By Lindsey

30th Birthday Party Theme Ideas

Sounds like everyone has a question about 30th's and no suggestions.

Suggestions:

A flag football game at a park for a football enthusiast. Have a hot dog vendor, and cotton candy machines for kids. Have cheerleaders, a score board and keeper, and even announcers following the plays. Play a half-time movie on a projector screen or funny super bowl commercials. Have everyone come in their favorite jersey and bring pennant flags (especially for those who don't want to play flag football). Have a trophy for the winning team and "team" photos taken.

For the grown-up who likes to dress up, but doesn't have any idea what to do once dressed up: throw a murder mystery party (buy the theme and directions at murdermysterygames.net). Everyone can have a part and you can get ones that don't require tapes to listen to (which are lame). Warning: these parties take a serious planner.

For the poker enthusiast: A new club in Las Vegas is opening up and you're invited. Have card tables, dealers in shifts, fun drinks, good prizes for the most chips taken (or a buy-in with real money if people are serious) and cigars and chocolate. Put a karaoke machine in the corner for those who don't like playing cards and make sure you have a lounge area (for the ladies especially). If you have a hot tub, put a small fountain pump in the middle of it and surround it with plants, turning it into a water feature.

For the tropical enthusiast: have a luau on the beach with something roasting on a spit. For the theatrical birthday kind, have natives or pirates invade the party. Pirates could be looking for a treasure chest that is buried somewhere on the beach. Natives could want a bit of your dinner in return for some hula lessons or tribal dancing.

For the theatrical: throw a masquerade party in a garden. Everyone can dress in normal to fancy evening wear and come with a mask. If they don't have masks, consider putting up a small station where people can make masks (see your local craft store for items). If you're loaded, have a wandering violinist and good food. If you're not loaded, play some enchanting music. Make sure to have a spot for guests to see themselves in mirrors and take pictures.

For the golf enthusiast: Have an old fashioned golf party either at a golf course or simply at a park. Set up several golf putting games and have prizes and an announcer. Put out shade tents and serve lemonade and finger foods. Everyone can dress in 40's golf dress such as knickers and long skirts. It looks great and everyone has a blast. For extra fun get some golf tees or golf balls or visors printed with your own special message. Warning: be sure to tell people where to get costumes or give them sufficient notice to find costumes.

For the whole family: have a carnival. Get friends and family to run a few booths. Strategically placed (with shade tents) you can get away with five or six games. Have prizes, hot dog, popcorn, and cotton candy machines, a mini petting zoo, mini golf, pretty much anything goes. To make it look more colorful use fun beach umbrellas. Hand out tickets for extra fun.

For the kids: have a water park theme with slip n' slides, blow up water slides (found at any toy store), plastic wading pools, beach balls, and even sprinklers. Parents can sit around under umbrellas on beach towels and watch the kids entertain themselves for hours. Remember sunscreen.

You can go on forever. Just remember that your party can be anything you want it to be without spending a ton of money. Just make sure you pay attention to what your birthday guy or gal really wants and don't make the party about everyone instead of them. If they want to rent ten movies, twenty pizzas, five friends and a keg, do it. They'll be happy and so will you.

(06/07/2008)

By Scallywaginc

30th Birthday Party Theme Ideas

Here is a party idea, that makes the guest think. Turning 30 or any special age, suggest that the guest have to bring a gift that reflects the age the person is turning. e.g. 30 fishing hooks, or a $30.00 gift certificate. Let the guest be creative. Invite 30 guests or write a list of his/her 30 favorite things to do. Play with this idea and it is amazing the memories that you can create.

(08/01/2008)

By Laura-Lee in Ontario

30th Birthday Party Theme Ideas

I had my boyfriend a sports theme 30th b-day party and every one wore their favorite team, decorations were football, soccer, basketball, etc. (09/23/2008)

By Nancy

July 12, 2007 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

April 15, 2007 Flag
Holidays and Parties Parties BirthdayAugust 13, 2016
Safari Theme Birthday
Safari Theme Birthday Party Ideas
30th Anniversary Gift
30th Anniversary Gift Ideas
A plate of sushi at a Japanese themed birthday party.
Japanese Themed Birthday Party Ideas
30th Birthday Party
30th Birthday Party Ideas
🎉
🎄