Index Cards to Keep Track of Seldom Used Items

contest winner icon

When reorganizing my home, I used to forget where seldom-used items got redirected to. After some frustrations, I learned to keep a recipe card file of alphabetized note cards, one for each item I moved. Now, when I can't seem to remember where I put the bead weaving loom or the tabletop easel, I just go to the card file and am reminded.

By ChurchGrandma from MT

Fantastic! As long as one remembers where the file is! ;) This is one that I have been waiting for and will adopt immediately. Thanks.

Glad to see someone else has this problem. I am forever putting my g p s or camera someplace so I'll know where it is,and by the next week I wonder where that is. Then the hunt begins.

Definitely sounds like an excellent plan! If you have a desk or home office where the card file could find a home, that might keep it from getting lost. I have an alternative that would work for me: create a file on your computer. Use whichever program would work best for you, whether it's Word/Wordperfect, Notepad, or Excel. If you use Excel as I would, it would be easy to set up. First column, name the item. Second, mark its last known location. Any third column could mark when it landed in its current location, and if you want to add supplemental info, that could go into a fourth column. For a word-processing document, info like this would probably be most convenient if formatted into a table. I prefer Excel for its better compatibility with my screen reader and the fact that I can set it to read the column title when I move from one column to the next.

Wow, what a great idea. I wish you would have posted this information several years ago. I moved my atlas and a pair of dog nail clippers. I found the clipper about 3 years later and I have never found the atlas. I can visualize putting it behind a piece of furniture so the pages wouldn't get torn or wrinkled. Never to be seen again. It was about 2' X 2.5'. How do you lose track of something that large? I will certainly use your idea. Thanks.

I just started doing this after listening to my friend for years tell me that she does this. It is a great idea!

I have done this for several years on a Roladex, starting in my sewing and craft room where I have many many items and not all are see through. Then it worked so well and I have gotten older (memory?) that I have continued it though out. Some of my cabinets are really high, so this way I know where to put the step stool and get just the item I need.

This is a great idea, but I should do it in electronic form. The computer can sort things alphabetically, but you don't even need to do that. It's enough to press control+F (find) and type the item you need in the search box to find it in your document, and then in your home. I think this is quicker to set up than a rolodex, and it's harder to lose your computer than a little file. :)

Cluttered Garage
Organizing Clutter
Organizing AdviceDecember 17, 2010
Natural Cleaning Products
Thrifty Cleaning Ideas
Potted Rosemary plant.
Keeping Track of Plant Information
Vintage Hank Aaron Baseball Card Leaning Against Old Baseball
Determining the Value of Baseball Cards