Glasses Are Cloudy From Dishwasher

How do I clean cloudy crystal glasses that had been put through a dishwasher?

By Carolyn from Sydney, Australia

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I had the same problem for years. I asked the dishwasher repairman, he said my water temp was set too high, so I lowered that to 120. Didn't fix my problem tho. So I started trying different brands of dishwasher detergent. After many many tries, I finally stumbled on one that leaves my glasses sparkling! And believe it or not it's not even a real expensive brand either! I'll give you everything on the label:

Palmolive Gel Dishwaher Detergent ECO+ Phosphate Free. Lemon Splash scent. It has a picture of lemon slices splashing in water.

I've been using it for almost a year now and every one of my glasses are still sparkling clear. I don't remember if I got it at Wal Mart or at Dollar General. I think it was Dollar General.

It also does a great job of getting my dirtiest dishes clean. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone who has the problem of cloudy glassware.

Here's another fix (might not be available in Australia). A new company in Florida sells a product called CitriClean. More info or buy on line at www.CitriClean.net

Here's another fix. A new company in Florida sells a product called CitriClean. More info or buy on line at www.CitriClean.net

You add it to your detergent. It works great and you can get about 2 weeks of treatment for $10. And you use a lot less detergent.

Answer

What can I do to get the cloudy look off my glasses from washing them in the dishwasher? Thank you.

By micheller1 from Brookhaven, MS

Answers:

Glasses Are Cloudy From Dishwasher

Using too much dishwashing detergent scratches the glass, and there is no cure for it. It never takes as much detergent for this and laundry too, as the containers recommend. They're in the business of selling the stuff, after all. Then they sell you the blue stuff to make dishes sparkle. (The same goes for dog food, by the way. Feed what the package instructions indicate and get a fat dog.) (09/26/2009)

By Recovering Spendthrift

Glasses Are Cloudy From Dishwasher

Add 1 cup of white vinegar along with your detergent. (09/27/2009)

By MCW

Glasses Are Cloudy From Dishwasher

Sometimes the cloudiness is permanent. I can eventually get cloudiness and sort of a carnival glass look on clear glass. I hate to, but I will hand wash glass items that I care about. It is something to do with the softened water (we have a water softener) and the strong dishwasher detergent will cause that over time. (09/29/2009)

By Debbie52

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a fairly new dishwasher, and I am having a lot of trouble with glasses being streaky and "foggy". I've tried cheap soap and expensive soap, and nothing seems to work. I've also tried "short" washes and "heavy washes" and nothing seems to work. I've resorted to washing them by hand which seems like I'm defeating the purpose of having a dishwasher.

By regrab from Brookfield, WI

Answers:

Glasses Are Cloudy From Dishwasher

You probably have hard water in your area and that's probably the reason why your glasses are cloudy. Add 1/2 cup of white vinegar during the rinse cycle and see if that takes care of the problem. (07/09/2009)

By MCW

Glasses Are Cloudy From Dishwasher

That happens to mine in the dishwasher and the sink, I was told to add a tablespoon of baking soda to soften the water, worked great for me. Good luck. (07/10/2009)

By oreonut2000

Glasses Are Cloudy From Dishwasher

Be sure your water is hot enough. (07/10/2009)

By winkhart2

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone know how to get clear glasses after using a dishwasher? They always end up cloudy. I've tried vinegar with poor results.

Diane from PA

Answers:

Glasses Are Cloudy From Dishwasher

Try some Jet Dry in your dishwasher. Check your "Use and Care" manual to find the dispenser. (04/25/2008)

By DebraJ.

Glasses Are Cloudy From Dishwasher

Use white vinegar in the dispenser for, not the one for detergent, the other one. (04/25/2008)

By woofey

Glasses Are Cloudy From Dishwasher

Lately I have been using the Jet Dry "baskets" in my dishwasher. This is after I got all the white residue off with a calcium remover. I use the "Works Disinfecting Toilet Bowl" cleaner. It is the best calcium and rust remover I have ever used and it is pretty cheap. (04/25/2008)

By Gretta

Glasses Are Cloudy From Dishwasher

If they are cloudy from hard water, the vinegar should work. However, sometimes it is the type of soap you are using. Switch to a different kind, and see if that helps. I have found that I have had to use a different soap in every different place that I have lived. Also, some glassware is worse than others for this, so sometimes it is the type of glassware plus the type of soap. (04/25/2008)

By louel53

Glasses Are Cloudy From Dishwasher

Hopefully your cloudy glasses are just a result of water spotting. However, it's possible that your glasses have "etching" which happens frequently to clear glass in dishwashers. I learned the hard way that there is no remedy, as the glass itself is permanently damaged. I now wash all glasses and clear glass dishes by hand. (04/26/2008)

Glasses Are Cloudy From Dishwasher

I fought with cloudy glasses and soap build up for over 8 years. Then I discovered Lemi-Shine. My glasses actually sparkle now and there is no soap build-up. I fill pre-wash cup 1/2 full of detergent and the wash cup 1/2 full of Lemi-Shine. That's what directions say to do and it works great. (08/06/2008)

By Kathy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesMarch 19, 2011
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
An open dishwasher full of clean dishes.
Fixing a Leaking Dishwasher
New Open Dishwasher
Saving Money on a Dishwasher
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 9:58:41 AM on 10.0.2.94 in 984 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.