Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Throw Rug Stains On Linoleum

I had a red throw runner on my kitchen floor which faded into my off white vinyl tile. I have tried bleach to remove and it is of no effect on that horrible red stain. It is a square, the shape of the rug. Any suggestions please?

By PattyB from Omaha, NE

By Ann Lopez11/06/2010

You could try cleaning it with a paste of baking soda and water. Good luck.

By Debby Tangblade [2]11/05/2010

I agree with Mr clean magic erasers. If that doesn't work then I really don't think anything will. Maybe Oxy Clean...

By Pixiedust7 [7]11/05/2010

This might fade by itself with time. Something similar happened to me years ago. I have metal kitchen cabinets covered with clear birch printed Contac plastic. One Christmas time, I attached strips of red gift tie ribbon to the doors to form a border around cardboard cutouts. I attached everything with dots of Funtak. After Christmas, I pulled the ribbons off, and saw red lines on the Contac, apparently the chemicals in the Contac had pulled color out of the ribbon. It wasn't the Funtak, because there was no color where the Funtak dots had been. I didn't know what to do and left it alone. By the following Christmas, I realized the red lines had faded away. Of course, I haven't repeated my mistake ever since. It looks like the chemicals in your floor covering pulled color out of the rug. Let it alone, and maybe it will fade over time.

By Jane [9]11/05/2010

My ex-scumlord (and thank God ex almost mother-in-law) had this problem but with red on white linoleum all over the foyer and part of the kitchen. I tried everything. The only thing that had any impact (small though) was Mr. Clean erasers. And that took hours and lots of elbow grease. Good luck.

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]08/29/2005

I have a bathroom with a new linoleum floor (less than one year). Our tenants put throw rugs by the toilet and shower. The rugs reacted with the linoleum and left a dark yellow stain exactly the outline of the rugs. I have tried everything to remove the stain. Can anyone please help?

Thriftyone

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Throw Rug Stains On Linoleum

About 3 years ago I brought a rug with a rubber back for my linoleum kitchen floor. I have now noticed that the tile has turned yellow. How can I remove it?

Thanks,
Gail from Kentucky

RE: Throw Rug Stains On Linoleum

The 'stain' is a chemical reaction inside the vinyl flooring material. It's not something that can come out. The only thing to do is keep it covered or replace the floor. In future, do not cover newer vinyl floors with rubber backed mats. (08/30/2005)

By beanygurl

RE: Throw Rug Stains On Linoleum

I used Whink rust remover (liquid) to remove 6 year old throw rug stains on my linoleum. It was a last resort but it worked! (09/18/2008)

By Lynn

Archive: Throw Rug Stains On Linoleum

I mopped my linoleum floor and put my rug back down before the floor had totally dried. It was an older rug and had started to yellow a bit on the bottom. Now the area where the rug was is yellowed, too. How can I removed this?

imaqt1962 from Illinois

Archive: Throw Rug Stains On Linoleum

How can I get a yellow stain, caused by a rug, out of (white) kitchen linoleum? I have tried bleach, scouring powder, baking soda, and sunlight.

By Thriftygreen198 from Lillington, NC

RE: Throw Rug Stains On Linoleum

I'm sorry, but I saw this question asked on the TV show "The Queen of Clean" (on HGTV) several years back, and she said that there was nothing you could do. It's the rug's backing that causes a reaction with the flooring and it's permanent.

* If you've already tried everything, here's what I would try next: First try "Scrubbing Bubbles" (or a cleaner just like it from the $1 store). Spray it on, then leave it set for about 15 minutes (only on the spot) then wipe it off with a sponge or rag. If that doesn't work you could try rubbing alcohol on a rag and some "elbow grease" and lastly you could try fingernail polish remover. Be careful to only get it in the area that's stained because it will remove the shine and maybe even some coloring from the flooring (try it in an out-of-the-way place first). If these strong cleaners don't work, nothing will!

* If nothing works, you can paint the area to match. Simply buy yourself some acrylic paints in the exact same shades (or mix your own) then clean the floor with rubbing alcohol (in that area only). Alcohol will remove any oils and residue, then paint the floor to match. Lastly, after the acrylic paint has dried, seal the painted area with a water-based sealer. Or, maybe even seal the whole floor with "Future" brand Acrylic floor wax.

The best acrylic paint would be "Glossies" by Liquitex. (Glossies is usually sold in the "artist" paint area and not usually in the "crafters" paint area) This is a super-durable paint made to stick to glass, tile, other "glossy" surfaces. After it dries, you can slightly heat it with a blow dryer to make it adhere even better. Glossies can be run through the dishwasher if painted on glass, so it's quite durable. But any outdoor or "garden" paint will work. Just be extra careful to really clean the area with alcohol before painting to seal the area properly. If you make a mistake or want to remove the paint, use fingernail polish remover (the type that does NOT say "for artificial nails")

Any Questions? Send me a note here on ThriftyFun.
PS. If you have any extra matching vinyl flooring material, you can make a patch. (07/03/2009)

By Cyinda