Keeping Brown Sugar Soft

Here is my tip for keeping brown sugar moist. Use marshmallows! You can use bread, but bread gets moldy and then you have to replace it. Not so with marshmallows!

By Elaine S. from near Cedar Rapids, IA

I will have to try this but I bake a lot so my brown sugar seldom has time to get hard. :)

Love your tip because I don't use brown sugar often and get frustrated trying to soften it before using when I need it! Think I'll use mini marshmallows because I am sure they will soak up some of that lovely brown sugar taste and would be a nice treat to steal a couple to munch on. :-)

Great tip. Thanks for sharing.

Good tip!

LisaE2, do you have any recipes using brown sugar that you'd like to share? :-)

This is definitely the best method to soften rock-hard brown sugar. I just put a couple of jumbo marshmallows in the sugar bag and in a day or so, it was soft - like it had never hardened. I've tried the clay bear and bread, but this works best - no mold and it keeps the sugar soft for months.

As soon as you've finished using your brown sugar and there is some left, moisten a paper towel, squeeze out most of the water, toss in the bag (still in a ball shape from squeezing it) and securely close the bag with a twist tie. Your sugar will be soft the next time you use it, no matter how long it has been shelved.

Wooden Scoop of Brown Sugar
Brown Sugar Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsJuly 13, 2011
Brown Sugar
Making Brown Sugar
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar