Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Remove Urine Odors From Mattresses

How do I get the smell of pee out of a mattress?

By Katie from ME

Best Answers

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By Sandy in MN (Guest Post)06/29/2005

20 Mule Team Borax. Dampen the spots, sprinkle the borax on it, let it dry and vacuum it off! It works great for pet odors! If you buy it, the directions are on the side of the box. You can find in the laundry soap aisle and it is only about $3 for a decent size box! Lots of USES!

By tamshell (Guest Post)06/22/2005

febreze! I had a problem with little ones not quite potty trained, shampoo the mattress with a "pet odor" & shampooer (you can rent one at most walmarts), then febreze it up! If you can move the mattress outside to get some fresh air & sun it will dry faster and leave you with a fresh smell.

By Elaine Hiatt06/18/2005

pour vinegar wherever the urine was, let it soak in a short time. then suction it back out with a carpet machine. I use the little green mean machine by bissell (a life saver when you have pet accidents or small children) The vinegar will nutralize the odor and the vinegar smell will go away after it dries.

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Jtaffe10/13/2010

The best way to get rid of human urine smell is to mix solution of 50/50 ammonia and h2o. Spray it on the mattress and close the door and open the window. The solution somehow removes that smell but initially the smell of the solution is very strong so do it after everybody leaves for the day or when the room doesn't need to be occupied for at least 3 hours. :)

By xintexas [28]08/13/2010

I hate to say this but buy a new mattress and enclose it with a waterproof zipped cover. This will prevent it from having urine on it again. I think your old mattress will always smell no matter what you do to it.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Remove Urine Odors From Mattresses

I need help getting out urine odors from my sister's mattress.

Nikki

RE: Remove Urine Odors From Mattresses

Pour clear rubbing alcohol on the spots. It gets rid of the odor and dries quickly. (06/17/2005)

By Alma

RE: Remove Urine Odors From Mattresses

Pour vinegar wherever the urine was, let it soak in a short time. Then suction it back out with a carpet machine. I use the Little Green Mean Machine by Bissell (a life saver when you have pet accidents or small children). The vinegar will neutralize the odor and the vinegar smell will go away after it dries. (06/18/2005)

By ehiatt

RE: Remove Urine Odors From Mattresses

Febreze. I had a problem with little ones not quite potty trained, shampoo the mattress with a "pet odor" product and shampooer (you can rent one at most Walmarts). Then Febreze it up. If you can move the mattress outside to get some fresh air and sun it will dry faster and leave you with a fresh smell. (06/22/2005)

By tamshell

RE: Remove Urine Odors From Mattresses

20 Mule Team Borax. Dampen the spots, sprinkle the borax on it, let it dry and vacuum it off. It works great for pet odors. If you buy it, the directions are on the side of the box. You can find in the laundry soap aisle and it is only about $3 for a decent size box. Lots of uses. (06/29/2005)

By Sandy in MN

RE: Remove Urine Odors From Mattresses

Using baby powder then rubbing it in, works well. Just as long as you don't mind the scent of baby powder. (07/05/2008)

By Andrew

RE: Remove Urine Odors From Mattresses

Baby powder on fresh urine stains and a fan. Then vacuum. (08/15/2008)

By

RE: Remove Urine Odors From Mattresses

I started using a products called Whiff Whacker, I found it on the internet. I first used it in my garage to remove cat smell and it worked great. The site is: thevetsource.com, but you might do a search for it and see if anyone has it locally. It is a great product and it is all natural. (03/11/2009)

By petsrgreat

How do you get urine odors out of a mattress?

By Chris from ME

RE: Remove Urine Odors From Mattresses

Sparkling mineral water is supposed to help, according to a book I have of household tips. Pour some on and blot it immediately. It gets rid of the smell. Hope it works for you. (11/18/2009)

By Angie

RE: Remove Urine Odors From Mattresses

I can remember from when I was a kid, my little brother wet the bed for awhile and when that would happen my mother would put layers of newspaper over the wet spot and leave it for awhile before making the bed. However, this wasn't a modern mattress, his bed was more like an old army cot, that the ends of it would fold under for moving, and the mattress was probably no more than two inches thick. (11/18/2009)

By redhatterb

RE: Remove Urine Odors From Mattresses

When I was younger I worked in a hotel as a maid. If the stain is fresh we sprinkled corn starch on it, then went about cleaning the rest of the rooms going back to the urine stain, vacuumed it and made the bed. At home my grandkids had accidents and I did this, only I covered it with a towel, made the bed then the next day I vacuumed it. (11/20/2009)

By keeper60

RE: Remove Urine Odors From Mattresses

Citrasolv (11/20/2009)

By muttmom