Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Do I Have Fleas?

I found a flea on my shoulder and in my shirt more than once even after being gone all day. I came home and felt like something was in my hair. I tried baking soda and rinsing with dish soap but nothing came out. I did it four times but my head won't stop itching. I still feel like something is in my hair. Do I have fleas in my hair? Can fleas even live in high altitudes, I heard they can't?

By prov31woman08 from Denver, CO

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By christine M. Thayer [2]07/27/2009

I don't know about them living in your hair, but I live in a small house that is back to back with another one. Someone left the crawl space outside, open. The cats lived under there & did I get fleas everywhere. I even had a spate of them get in my hair. It felt like something crawling in it. I have fairly short hair & what I did, was first, if I could, look where I felt the crawling. If I couldn't, I would bend over the white tub, & scratch my head, which felt good & ran my fingers through my hair at the same time. Just went crazy doing this. And yes, fleas came out in the tub.

I had to call the landlord & they had exterminators spray everywhere, under the houses, the yards, porches & they had to come out 3x. Years ago, I had cats & 4 kids, in a 3 bedroom house with large yard & garage. When the fleas got bad, I found an insecticide that kills fleas. Then on a day when I could be gone for a bit, I would spray this insecticide on the wall, about 18 in high & the floor as I backed out of the room. Closing the door & spraying it too. I did the whole house. Left windows open & boy did the fleas hate it & try to get away from it. Back then I used melathion 50%. I don't know if I'd do it these days. They would drive me & my family crazy, but it didn't leave a smell & killed the fleas & eggs. When it was time to shampoo the rugs, we used a steam cleaner, I'd put it in with the shampoo water & soap;no smell & really clean. No fleas.
Tthere is something else, you might be itching even when there are no fleas, cause of the stupid things. You get buggy. I spent a lot of time itching, even though they were gone.

By Tina07/27/2009

I am more along the lines of Cyinda. Fleas can jump on people and bite people, but do not NEST on people, but carpet and furniture.

The first thing I thought, too, was lice. You say you 'feel like something in your hair'. Lice will nest in your hair...the bite is what itches. The lice is almost the same size as a flea, but fleas hop and lice crawl.

Someone can check your scalp for lice. Mostly you see the nits (eggs) which the lice 'glue' to your hairshaft. There are special shampoos which you can buy in most drug/grocery stores. Good luck!

By Anonymous [848]07/27/2009

Yes, you can get fleas! I had it happen once and it was miserable! I had moved in to an apartment that was infested, unbeknownst to me, and it took bombing the apartment (the kind that also kills eggs), shampooing the carpet, washing all bedding etc. to get rid of them and it was miserable to have to keep jumping in the shower often to shampoo my hair to get them out and they feel creepy! Personal hygiene has not a darn thing to do with it! I am anal retentive when it comes to cleanliness and I still got infested! And whether you have a pet or not has nothing to do with it either because you can bring them home on you from somewhere else that has them including the beach or a park!

prov31woman08, if the itching continues and it's an overall itching feeling and not the feeling of critters running around on your scalp you might want to see a doctor in case it's lice or dermatitis but you might also simply feel itchy because you saw the fleas on you and power of suggestion causes lots of reactions ;-) I hope that makes sense ;-)

By Cricket [201]07/23/2009

I don't know what world Cyinda is living in, but in this world people sure do get fleas! They just aren't as bad on us as they are on our furry friends. And yes they can live in high altitudes. I lived in Colo. Spgs, and altho they aren't as bad there as they are down here in the south, they are there.

I'd say what you're feeling in your hair may be where the fleas have bitten you. It sounds like you did a good job of washing them out. They are so tiny you probably just didn't see them come out.

To treat the itching tho, I'd get some Benadryl. Whatever form you can find it in; pills, ointment, gel, whatever. You could have someone check your head too, just to be sure.

You'll need to treat your bed, pillows, and bedding tho to make sure they didn't get in there and you don't get them back again. While you're at it you may as well get some flea bombs and do the whole house.

Just don't let anyone tell you that people don't get fleas. Those little critters are not choosy! LOL

By Cyinda [214]07/23/2009

Unless you rarely bathe, Don't worry! People don't get fleas! (only pets). They wash right out & they're eggs do to! (Believe me, I've lived in several flea infested places!) ... But humans DO get lice. You may have found one or 2 fleas, but that doesn't mean you actually have them. With lice, it's a different story. (you can't usually see lice, just their "nits" (eggs) attached to your hair shafts towards the base.

Don't worry about the itch. The flea may have bitten you several times, but it's not actually living in your hair! Fleas CAN live in your carpeting though, IF you have pets, but NOT in your hair!

* And Cricketnc, I stand by my post... & that wasn't very polite!