Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning a Diamond Ring

A diamond ring can become dull looking as a result of constant wear. This is a guide about cleaning a diamond ring.

February 14, 2006 Flag

I need help cleaning my 3 carat diamond ring which is looking smokey due to the fact that I never take it off. I need to find something to clean it up while I am wearing it. Please help me.

Brenda from Anmoore, WV

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

A soft toothbrush and a tiny dab of plain old dishwashing detergent makes my diamond wedding ring look beautiful. Make sure to get the bristles into all the crevices on the bottom surfaces of the stone too, not just the top surface. If your stone is looking cloudy (and I'm assuming it wasn't always like that), it's probably due to buildup on the stone surfaces that are protected by the setting.

After rinsing my ring, I blow hard under the stone, to blow out the excess water that gets trapped between the stone and the setting. Then just wipe it with a soft towel and you're done.

I've cleaned my ring this way for 10 years, and the jewelers that I take my ring to periodically (for inspection of the setting) have never noticed any problems from this practice.

Best Answer

I use Tom's of Maine toothpaste and a soft bristle toothbrush to clean my 2 ct diamond wedding ring. It works beautifully and it's never left a scratch on my yellow gold setting. Toothpaste is a great way to clean a wedding ring and make it shine like a jewelry store model again.

Best Answer

I work with an independent jeweler that has been in business for over 25 years. Look for an IJO jeweler. They belong to an organization that keeps tabs on these independents to keep them honest. If you are afraid of the jeweler 'popping' your diamond, you are paranoid. 98% of jewelers are honest. You should be able to take your jewelry and have it cleaned for free and checked for damage or loose stones anytime. If you never take your ring off, you are doing your treasure a disservice.

We encourage our customers to remove their jewelry first thing as they arrive home and that it is the last thing that they put on before they leave the house. This saves 'gunk' buildup as well as excess wear and tear from doing normal household chores like banging your diamonds and prongs on sinks, dishwashers and washers and dryers. All of these things wear on gold and can flatten and bend prongs. This all can lead to a lost or damaged diamond or gemstone.

A good homemade cleaner is 1/3 each Dawn dish liquid, ammonia and water. Use a soft toothbrush if needed. Toothpaste of any kind should not be used.Have your prongs checked at least every 6 months, more often if you insist on never taking off your rings. Be prepared to re-tip or replace your heads more often if you wear your jewelry all the time. Better to prevent loss than have to replace that beautiful 3 carat!

I never take mine off so it gets pretty dirty in a week's time. Ii take it off and use my toothpaste and an old toothbrush on it and then rinse it off. It always makes me smile to see it shine like new again!

My wife's 3.5 carat diamond shows the gunk because of its shere size. I clean it with a wonderful product she bought where she gets her nails done. They soak her hands in it. The shine and brilliance is magnificent. You know what they say, flaunt it if you have it.

I just used the tip I read on here that said use half hydrogen peroxide and half ammonia and it worked beautifully! GOOD LUCK!

Dish soap glass cleaner water microwave to steam perfect.

I use the combo of dish soap and water and it works great. I wanted to find a gentle, small brush to work out some of the build-up between my diamond and prongs. I found a pack of 12 disposable lip brushes at the Beauty Supply store (the bristles are very soft and fine) and each little lip brush is the perfect size for working on the diamond and prongs.

It is very easily gets in the small hard-to-reach places without being harsh on your jewelry. I do this type of cleaning occasionally between going to the jeweler. We take our jewelry to be inspected and cleaned twice a year to a local jeweler where we did NOT buy our rings from. Most jewelers do offer a professional inspection and cleaning for free. The place we go has all open glass walls so we can see everything going on with our jewelry for that extra reassurance!

Didn't your jeweler explain to you that you should have the pronges checked at least every six months? Takes about 5 minutes even after they clean with a steam cleaner.

There are a number of good suggestions in this post. However, I advise you to take off your ring at times. You may want to keep it on for sentimental reasons, but losing a diamond down the drain because you shower with it, is no fun.

Home and Garden Cleaning JewelryDecember 9, 2016
Making a Paper Clip Ribbon Ring
Making a Paper Clip Ribbon Ring
removing a ring
Removing a Ring That is Stuck on Your Finger
Woman Looking at Shirt Collar
Cleaning Ring Around the Collar
comtemperary wedding ring
Buying a Wedding Ring
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 19, 2017 at 10:16:28 PM on 10.0.1.155 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.