Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning a Diamond Ring

I need help cleaning my 3 carat diamond ring which is looking smokey due to the fact that I never take it off. I need to find something to clean it up while I am wearing it. Please help me.

Brenda from Anmoore, WV

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By sonja_l09/26/2010

Next time, I won't get help from jeweler again, would try a home clean in soon.

By (Guest Post)02/10/2009

There are a number of good suggestions in this post. However, I advise you to take off your ring at times. You may want to keep it on for sentimental reasons, but losing a diamond down the drain because you shower with it, is no fun.

By Maggie (Guest Post)02/05/2009

Didn't your jeweler explain to you that you should have the pronges checked at least every six months? Takes about 5 minutes even after they clean with a steam cleaner.

By Steph (Guest Post)01/12/2009

I use the combo of dish soap and water and it works great. I wanted to find a gentle, small brush to work out some of the build-up between my diamond and prongs. I found a pack of 12 disposable lip brushes at the Beauty Supply store (the bristles are very soft and fine) and each little lip brush is the perfect size for working on the diamond and prongs.

It is very easily gets in the small hard-to-reach places without being harsh on your jewelry. I do this type of cleaning occasionally between going to the jeweler. We take our jewelry to be inspected and cleaned twice a year to a local jeweler where we did NOT buy our rings from. Most jewelers do offer a professional inspection and cleaning for free. The place we go has all open glass walls so we can see everything going on with our jewelry for that extra reassurance!

By trishat (Guest Post)01/05/2009

Dish soap glass cleaner water microwave to steam perfect.

By Laura (Guest Post)12/02/2008

I just used the tip I read on here that said use half hydrogen peroxide and half ammonia and it worked beautifully! GOOD LUCK!

By RJ (Guest Post)11/15/2008

My wife's 3.5 carat diamond shows the gunk because of its shere size. I clean it with a wonderful product she bought where she gets her nails done. They soak her hands in it. The shine and brilliance is magnificent. You know what they say, flaunt it if you have it.

By Laureen (Guest Post)10/27/2008

I never take mine off so it gets pretty dirty in a week's time. Ii take it off and use my toothpaste and an old toothbrush on it and then rinse it off. It always makes me smile to see it shine like new again!

RE: Cleaning a Diamond Ring

By laura (Guest Post)08/29/2008

I work with an independent jeweler that has been in business for over 25 years. Look for an IJO jeweler. They belong to an organization that keeps tabs on these independents to keep them honest. If you are afraid of the jeweler 'popping' your diamond, you are paranoid. 98% of jewelers are honest. You should be able to take your jewelry and have it cleaned for free and checked for damage or loose stones anytime. If you never take your ring off, you are doing your treasure a disservice.

We encourage our customers to remove their jewelry first thing as they arrive home and that it is the last thing that they put on before they leave the house. This saves 'gunk' buildup as well as excess wear and tear from doing normal household chores like banging your diamonds and prongs on sinks, dishwashers and washers and dryers. All of these things wear on gold and can flatten and bend prongs. This all can lead to a lost or damaged diamond or gemstone.

A good homemade cleaner is 1/3 each Dawn dish liquid, ammonia and water. Use a soft toothbrush if needed. Toothpaste of any kind should not be used.Have your prongs checked at least every 6 months, more often if you insist on never taking off your rings. Be prepared to re-tip or replace your heads more often if you wear your jewelry all the time. Better to prevent loss than have to replace that beautiful 3 carat!

By Barbara (Guest Post)03/29/2008

I am a fanatic about my jewelry. It has to be clean and all sparkly every day. I use MR Clean concentrate( the orange one), and I mix it with water in a jewelry container. I then put my jewelry in there and let it soak for 15 minutes. Of course you need a soft toothbrush to lightly scrub the gunk off of it. The trick is to clean more often so it isnt all smoky. You want diamonds that are sparkly not ugly.

By Darlene (Guest Post)03/26/2008

A 3 carat diamond ring should come with a lifetime cleaning and repair warranty from the jeweler.

By C (Guest Post)12/16/2007

Why does it matter how big your ring is, as how to clean it?

By Susan (Guest Post)12/14/2007

I use Tom's of Maine toothpaste and a soft bristle toothbrush to clean my 2 ct diamond wedding ring. It works beautifully and it's never left a scratch on my yellow gold setting. Toothpaste is a great way to clean a wedding ring and make it shine like a jewelry store model again.

By karen zetzer [16]02/20/2006

Tooth brush and toothpaste, not gel, has always worked better than any expensive alternatives and you don't have to take off the ring. I would say to take it off once in awhile to clean real well under.

By Jean (Guest Post)02/16/2006

Make a solution of half ammonia and half hydrogen peroxide. Drop in the ring and watch the "gunk" bubble out of it. Rinse well with warm water.

By Holly [350]02/15/2006

If you take it to the jewelry store to be cleaned, there is a remote possibility that the stone could be removed and replaced with one less valuable.

If it is cleaned in front of your eyes at all times, then you'd be more sure of getting the original one back.
Sad to say.

It only takes a second for a jeweler to pop out the stone.

If you have one of those steam cleaners, you could do the above suggestions and alternate with steam. Find some way of holding the ring so the steam doesn't blow the ring off the table and doesn't scorch your fingers. You'll probably have to repeat the ammonia ... with the steam cleaning, but work on it for about 20 mins. and you will be pleasantly surprised.

By Carol (Guest Post)02/15/2006

Years ago we always used ammonia and water mix to soak diamond jewelry. It cuts the soap scum buildup. You can try adding a little dish liquid to the intial soaking if you like. I think you will find a little goes a long way. I wouldnt do anything harsh or brush it... Just swish it around in the mixture and let it sit like 5 minutes... best of luck...

By needy reynolds mount ayr indiana (Guest Post)02/14/2006

a soft toothbrush and crest toothpaste make my diamonds shine nicely rinse it well with warm water after brushing with toothpaste not the gel the paste and they shine like in the jewelery case

By Alison Fourie (Guest Post)02/14/2006

Hi to clean my diamond rings, in fact all my gold and silver and diamond jewellrey I use a mixure of vinegar, water and lemon juice, I pop in the jewellrey I need to clean and leave for a few hours to soak and then take out and dry and the jewellrey is all shiny and clean, this is an excellent method for cleaning diamond rings. Regards Ali

By Lynne [2]02/14/2006

A soft toothbrush and a tiny dab of plain old dishwashing detergent makes my diamond wedding ring look beautiful. Make sure to get the bristles into all the crevices on the bottom surfaces of the stone too, not just the top surface. If your stone is looking cloudy (and I'm assuming it wasn't always like that), it's probably due to buildup on the stone surfaces that are protected by the setting.

After rinsing my ring, I blow hard under the stone, to blow out the excess water that gets trapped between the stone and the setting. Then just wipe it with a soft towel and you're done.

I've cleaned my ring this way for 10 years, and the jewelers that I take my ring to periodically (for inspection of the setting) have never noticed any problems from this practice.

By Cheryl from Missouri (Guest Post)02/14/2006

Place your ring in a bowl with denture cleaning tablets.

By Janice (Guest Post)02/14/2006

I use baking soda and a soft toothbrush. You don't have to take your ring off if the prongs are tall enough. Just rinse and your done.

By Pat Giles02/14/2006

You are not going to be able to properly clean your ring while wearing it, because soap, etc. gets under the stone. If you don't want to pay a jeweler to clean it for you, then do as I do - mix half and half household ammonia and hot water in your lavatory and let the ring soak for a few minutes. You might need to use a wood toothpick to dislodge some of the gunk from underneath the stone - it can't hurt since diamond is the hardest gem there is.

By Robin (Guest Post)02/14/2006

You should be able to take your ring to any jewelry store for cleaning. There are cleaners you can buy there for use at home. I don't know of any other way to clean your ring. I know of nothing you can use to clean it while you are wearing it.